This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Chrome

I have downloaded Google Chrome - it shows under Tools>Downloads in Firefox. I dont know what to do with it after that. When I click it, it opens a 'Launch Application window' and ask me to choose from desktop etc. Which do i use??

Cheers

BW

Re: Google Chrome

Wrong method. See Install or uninstall Google Chrome: Download and install Google Chrome
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks

I tried opening it instead of saving it, but it brings me to the same screen, asking me which application to open it with??

BW

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you running? I'm running Karmic 9.10. When I follow the instructions, and accept the agreement, I get the pop-up that ask if I want to Save as... the file or Open with 'GDebi Package Installer'
        If I wanted to install Google Chrome, I would choose the Open with GDebi... and the installation would take place.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

RIGHT click on the download and choose Install with Gdebi
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

i am also a noob.. even i don't know how to execute the file from the firefox downloads directly.

@BSW: heres what i do.. just go to your downloads folder and click on that installer you just downloaded. it will open automatically..
            asus A52N
            Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
            AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
            windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

I've never been able to get Google Chrome to actually run. It just segfaults.
              Every version, same thing.
              I just reinstalled the latest supposedly stable version from here. I tried installing with dpkg from the command line and with GDebi Package installer.
              It installs OK, but when I run it by clicking the icon I get a bouncing icon like it's trying then...nothing.
              From the command line I just get Segmentation fault
              And that's it.

Kubuntu 9.10
              64 bit
              2.6.31-19-generic

Anyone else?
              Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Try chromium-browser The daddy of Google Chrome.

Open a terminal and enter:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily/ppa

Then run

sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

Comment

i didn't get it.. what is the difference between google chrome.. and chromium?
                  asus A52N

Comment

There is not much difference. They are both built on the same platform. Most of the Google Chrome extensions will work in chromium. Appearance is about the same. Nothing lost by installing and giving it a tryout. I really like it and have made it my default browser. It is very fast compared to Firefox. Try it and tell us what you think.

Comment

Here's a screenshot of chromium open to my home page.

Comment

I've never had any problems using google-chrome-unstable from the Google testing repo.

Comment

i just downloaded chromium..
                          as detonate says.. there striking similarity between chrome and chromium.
                          i could just figure out one change while installing.. it did not show me any End User Agreement which i should have agreed upon before using

though i must say.. chrome/ium does have a problem with display of Hindi characters in google reader specifically. On windoze machine Hindi characters are displayed properly in chrome.

there is noticeable difference between cold start of firefox and chrome/ium. chromium is much faster than firefox. but apart from that i would disagree if someone says chrom is faster than ff.

everyone has personal favs.. for me.. ff still rules.. if only the cold start time of ff reduced.. it would rule undoubtedly..
                          asus A52N

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                            That worked for me. First time I've used Chrome. Seems very responsive. Not flashy. I like that!

Comment

If you tell it to use the GTK theme it ends up looking quite nice

Comment

Working...
                              X