This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just installed Kubuntu can't play music CDs with Amarok or Kaffeine

I'm pretty sure that can also play music CDs, but I don't use it that way. Undoubtedly there are others.

Edit: Yeah, I forgot to insert the program name :P

http://www.mplayerhq.hu
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Wahoo I fixed K3B so it can now make MP3s from CDs. I found some lame install library thing and it did the trick.

I'm curious do any people out there actually listen to CDs on their computers anymore? I'm guessing no otherwise there wouldn't be this problem with trying to play CDs on Kubuntu.

Comment

I'm curious do any people out there actually listen to CDs on their computers anymore?
        why yes all the time with Kscd dragon VLC Exaile Kmplayer mplayer XMBC and a few others

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

acualey my Amarok will play them to

Amarok
          Version 2.2.1
          Using KDE 4.3.3 (KDE 4.3.3)

but you half to open the disk with dolphin first then open Amarok ......or it wont see it.......at least for me.

I assume becose it's not mounted untill somthing has opend it........

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

I don't listen to CD's frequently, but sometimes, I do. The hifi is upstairs in the living room, so if I want to hear a Mozart opera or The Supreme's greatest hits, while I'm down here surfing the web, I bring down the CD.

Mostly, I just listen to internet radio.

Comment

Does work:

VLC

Doesn't work:

KsCD
              Dragon
              Kaffeine
              Amarok
              Kplayer

I'll have to try Exaile to see if that works.

Comment

Wahoo again Exaile actually plays CDs. 8)

Only problem is that it doesn't display track names and artist name.

Any idea on how I can get that to work? I looked in the Exaile preferences but couldn't find anything.

Comment

you were asked befor but I dident see an anser so I'll ask..............do you have more than 1 optical drive?

the other's may be looking to the rong device.

Only problem is that it doesn't display track names and artist name.
                  hear it dose??

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Got curious here myself ... CDs always just play automatically for me in Kubuntu ...right now it is in 8.04.3 using Amarok 1.4.9.1., KDE 3.5.10. No problems.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                      acualey my Amarok will play them to

Amarok
                      Version 2.2.1
                      Using KDE 4.3.3 (KDE 4.3.3)

but you half to open the disk with dolphin first then open Amarok ......or it wont see it.......at least for me.

I assume becose it's not mounted untill somthing has opend it........

VINNY
                      I just tested this - Kubuntu 9.10 w/Amarok 2.2.0 (KDE 4.3.2). When I insert my audio CD, the Device Notifier pops up showing OpticalDisc Volume. Mouse on this and it shows 4 actions for this device. Click on this entry and the pop-up for Volume presents me with:
                      Extract Digital Audio with K3b
                      Open Audio CD in Dolphin
                      Copy with K3b
                      Play Audio CD with Amarok
                      Do Nothing
                      Clicking on Play Audio CD with Amarok and OK (or double-clicking on Play Audio CD with Amarok) does not launch Amarok, so I don't have 'auto-play' of audio CDs. I have to launch Amarok and copy the CD to the Playlist before the CD will play.

So, for a second 'test,' I have Amarok loaded and sitting in the System Tray. I loaded a new audio CD. The Device Notifier pops up as normal with the same detection/options as stated above. Clicked on the entry, get the pop-up with the four options, and double-click on Play Audio CD with Amarok. Nothing happens. Even though Amarok is running - it's in the System Tray - there is still no 'auto-play' of an audio CD.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes the device notafier open with amarok dosent work........it dosent call for a opening action amarok recognises.

BUT if you open with dolphin THEN open amarok and go to local musick it will be at the top of the list.

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

I never thought of trying to use an audio CD. I have most of my music on MP3.
                          I tried using Amarok but it doesn't work. Then I tried to rip a track using K3b, to Ogg-Vorbis. That worked and Amarok can play that.

Did someone already mention that there is a driver for Amarok to play audio CD's?
                          Boot Info Script

Comment

What version of KDE and Amarok are you using? Do you have the Medibuntu repository active? Have you installed the w32codecs package from Medibuntu?

Medibuntu - Community Ubuntu Documentation
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeppers I have the codecs.

I'm using what I think is Kubuntu 9.10 and my KDE is 4.3.2

I just installed Amarok on a machine running Sabayon and guess what it plays CDs no problems and it shows all the tracks and the title. Weird eh?

Kubuntu just has some serious problems going on. I only have the one optical drive and I checked the media folder in root and it shows two folders with cdrom0 and cdrom1.

I wish that K3B was also a music player because it sees disks perfectly with all the tracks and title name.

And now I'm having problems trying to post here. Not going well today!

Comment

I just got Kaffeine to work but not in Kubuntu but Sabayon. 2 funny. It works perfectly the whole shmear, CDDB and so forth.

For whatever reason media software does not want to play nice in Kubuntu and from reading around here it seems like a lot of people have the same issues.

Oh and I just installed Exaile and it works beautifully. CDDB and everything, no problems running it in Sabayon.

Now that being said, the Sabayon machine is not mine and I'd like to get all this stuff to work right in Kubuntu, how do I go about doing that?

Comment

Working...
                                X