X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] HDMI stopped (kind of) working

First, good night everyone

I've been using Kubuntu for quite a while now, since August, and it's been all fine up 'til now. Not sure how the following history relates to everything, but I will describe from where it started giving me the problem.

I just bought a copy of Left 4 Dead 2, and not in the mood for a Dual Boot setup (lol), I tried to make it run through WINE, just to get hammered with a load of errors, ok, we have the Internet and Google for something, so I fired up a search to get a few tips, and so I followed them.

Even though all of those tips had to do ONLY with WINE, after yet another crash, and yet another reboot, I would login just to find the Desktop a total mess of a scrambled image, words cannot describe, really.

Thing is: the Login screen is just fine, but right after typing the pass, it gets into the Desktop, seemingly fine, but then it hangs, blanks, and comes back into a scrambled image. All of this through HDMI.

Tried reinstalling the drivers, messing around with the xorg.conf a bit as well, and the HDMI output works just fine with the 'VESA' driver, but whenever I switch back to the 'fglrx', well you guess it. Right now I'm using it via D-Sub, and it works just fine.

Since it's kind of video-related and yet I'm a newbie, I was afraid of posting it on the related section, I expect not being a bother here.

The hardware I'm trying to get back working is a LG Flatron W2353V, which was working through HDMI just fine to a ATi Radeon HD3200, the MoBo an ASUS M3A78-EM

=====
    EDIT
    =====

Even though no one could help with my problem, it seems to have fixed on its own... good I guess? For those who took the time to at least read, thank you.

Re: [SOLVED] HDMI stopped (kind of) working

I'm glad that your problem "solved itself". I imagine it did that because (a) you installed an update to something, (b) you were playing with something else and happened to tweak a configuration file that resolved the issue, or (c) you removed something that was messing up your video.

If (b) or (c) was the case, I suspect that the problem has to do with running a windoze game under wine. The only way to do that successfully, is to purchase the commercial version of wine, and even then, the odds of success are not good.

My general advice is that, if you really want to play windoze games, do it in windoze. Game developers tend to stretch an operating system to its limits. They use aspects of windoze that can not be duplicated by the wine developers. After all windoze has to be good for something !

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] HDMI stopped (kind of) working

English is a strange language.

"Good morning" is used as a greeting to say "hello", anytime before Noon.

"Good Night" is used to say "good bye" (or just "bye", or "so long"... ) anytime after 6 PM, but in 68 years of using the language (in America) I've never heard "Good Night" used as a greeting.

Between Noon and 6 PM "Good Afternoon" is used as either a greeting or a good bye, depending on your context.

As far as WINE is concerned, it is a mixed bag. It is in a constant state of Flux and while you may have success running a particular Windows application with one release, the very next release may not run that application at all. Because of that I prefer to use CodeWeaver's CrossOver for Linux: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

The feature I like best about it is that it creates a separate environment for each Windows application that you install. Those environments are called "Wine Bottles". Using that approach settings in one "bottle" do not affect applications running in another bottle. One negative aspect of WINE or CrossOver is that they tend to capture MIME links and take over control of audio and video. So, if you have VLC set to be the default video player, and you install Windows Media Player in WINE (or CrossOver) there has been a tendency for Media Player to be called instead of VLC. So, one has to check their MIME settings after installing WINE or CrossOver.

Also, check with the application database on the WINE website (or CodeWeaver's) to see if the application you want to run is supported by the version of WINE (or CrossOver) that you want to install.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X