X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System hang at cupsd when installing 0810

Hi all,
    I am new to Linux but eager to learn. I am trying to load Kubuntu 0810 on my HP proliant DL580 server which I bought recently to run Linux MCE.
    When I try to install Kubuntu, process hangs at starting cupsd. I don't have any other devices attached to
    this computer as some one experienced few years back in the forum.
    My configuration is Proliant DL580 G2 with 4GB ram and 136GB HD (4x36GB) with raid 0 running on Xenon
    processors (4). Only the ethernet connected to the router at this point.
    Same disk running on a another computer works fine. Could some one one guide me to get past this please?
    Thanks

Re: System hang at cupsd when installing 0810

Can't directly address your question. However, I note that you are attempting to install Kubuntu 8.10 - Intrepid. Is that correct? Might I suggest downloading/burning the Jaunty 9.04 .iso and give it a go? You might find that installation proceeds fully.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you. Since my goal is to run MCE, would it be alright to install Ubuntu 9.04 and upgrade/update to MCE0810?
      Thanks again

Comment

Okay. Clear enough. You have, and are trying to install, LinuxMCE 8.10. I can't help you on this, but there are other members here who have worked with media center installs.

Cupsd is, of course, the printer daemon. How long did you wait during the install before determining that in fact, the installation was actually stalled at this point?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I waited overnight for it.
          I see an very old post here and I am hoping that that member would respond if he is till active in the forum.
          Unfortunately, theres' no post to indicate how it was resolved.
          Thanks

Comment

Frankly, my advice would be to download and install Kubuntu 9-10 in place of 8-10. Kubuntu 8-10 was the first release using KDE4. Unfortunately, it used KDE4.0, which (in my opinion) was not ready for public release. I really think that you would save time and have a MUCH better experience by switching to the current release, Kubuntu 9-10.

Comment

I have successfully installed Kubuntu 9.04 and currently in the process of upgrading to 9.10. Thanks everyone for your input.
              2 more questions though. Could I install MCE on top of 9.10? If so, how do I go about it?
              Thanks

Comment

My advice would be to install the packages that you need using a package manager. e.g. Kpackagekit. However, I have never used MCE, and so I don't know which packages those are. However, these folks do. I believe that Ubuntu Media Center is based on this project. I'd poke around and see which packages you need.

Slightly later: As far as I can tell this is basically the mythbuntu package set (which you can find with your package manager) plus some additions.

Comment

I apologize for getting sidetracked and not answering your initial question with regard to setting up your printer. That task may be either trivial, impossible, or (most likely) somewhere in between. Please go to the LinuxPrinting.org database and enter the manufacturer and model number of your printer.

Comment

Working...
                  X