This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new to linux, jumpin in feet first with my new Dell 10v

...and now stuck. lol I got so far. I was able to dual boot Kubuntu with Windows7...everything seems to work great, but for whatever reason I cant get my wireless to work.

Ive done some searching around and saw that Ubuntu had the same issue with 10v. I tried doing the same thing that Ubuntu users had to do but with KDEPackageKit and did a search for bcmwl-kernel-source and Installed it....it seemed to work.

When I go to Hardware Drivers, it shows it there, its shows its activated and current at the bottom (yet the top says No proprietary drivers are in use on this system) but I still cant seem to see my open wireless network.

I did a couple searchs here but all I saw was "I did a couple click to solve this" but not what the clicks were :P

What is it Im doing wrong?

Re: Brand new to linux, jumpin in feet first with my new Dell 10v

Ok, there are two drivers that pop up now.

Broadcom B43 Wireless Driver

and

Broadcom STA wireless driver

B43 states its the package that extracts the firmware
    STA states it is the driver itself.

When I try to activate the STA i get this popup error msg
    Sorry installation of this driver failed. Please have a look at the log file for details: /var/log/jockey.log

Ive attached the error log
    Attached Files

Comment

Installed Ubuntu...everything works fine with said fix above, thanks anyways.

Comment

Ubuntu- nothing wrong with a Gnome Desktop. I run Ubuntu 9.04 as my second OS.

What version of Ubuntu?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

9.10 netbook remix. I was jsut pleased with how Kubuntu looked tbh, but not sure why Ubuntus package installer worked in installing the wireless drivers...Kubuntus was actually crashing after I tried to activate it...was weird.

Comment

Ubuntus package installer worked in installing the wireless drivers...Kubuntus was actually crashing after I tried to activate it
            This may be a function of the package manager that is installed by default. In either case, I would advise installing and using a package manager called "Synaptic". That may be the package manager that was installed with Ubuntu. If so, you're in luck. You won't have to install it and it can be used in Kubuntu, as well. It is much better than either Packagekit (which may be the current package manager in Ubuntu) or Kpackagekit (which is the default in Kubuntu).

If worse comes to worst, start a Konsole (or the Ubuntu equivalent) and give the command
            sudo apt-get install synaptic
            You may be asked to install some other things as well, agree to do so. Try it. You'll like it.

Comment

Working...
            X