X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Wireless on K 9.10

Hello.

I've installed Kubuntu 9.10 on my Dell latitude D600 laptop. Kubuntu works perfect, except I'm having trouble with my wireless connection. My Dell has the following wireless card: 'Boardcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)'.

I had the same problem before when I installed 8.10 a while back, but now I have done a clean install to 9.10 to prevent problems. On 8.10 I fixed it by the following guide:
    http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/sho....php?p=4793983
    Now I applied the same guide. After the steps the connections do show, but when I want to connect to my router which is protected with a password, it does not connect.

Can anyone help me futher? I'm stuck on this for hours. I'd appreciate the help.

Emass.

Re: Wireless on K 9.10

b43-fwcutter IS in the repository if you have the us.archive.ubuntu.com/main repository active.

And, it is all you should need.

Remove the configuration changes and software you added, make sure no wireless modules are in the module list. If there are then use "sudo rmmod whatever" to remove them and then "sudo depmod".

THEN, use SYNAPTIC to install b43-fwcutter, It will pull the firmware out of your chip and setup a wireless driver for it.
    Your wireless lamp should come on. If it doesn't then reboot. Then you can use wicd or knetworkmanager.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You can also...
      K->Application->System->Hardware driver

let kubuntu search for available driver.
      It should find drivers for BCM43. Activate that.. and give it a try...
      asus A52N
      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

b43-fwcutter is already installed and showing my connections. The problem is when I click on the connection of my house a screen comes up aksing me for a password (or actually a Passphrase?). When I enter the password it's not connecting. It's giving the status 'preparing to connect' and 'switching on' when I hover over the connection with my mouse. After a little while it's asking me for my password again, and after i entered the icon switches back to unwired icon aka no connection.
        Also I just tried to connect with a wire. Nothing is happening at all either. Maybe internet all together is disabled or something?

Comment

I had problems with previous versions of Kernel (2.6.31-14-generic and 2.6.31-15-generic), now with 2.6.31-16-generic I have no problems.

If you are using wicd and WPA encription, pay atention, there are two options, Passphrase and Preshared Key. The choice is the second, in my case!

(My chipset is the some of yours, BCM4306)

Comment

On my Gateway m675prr, which had the 4306 (rev 3) chip, the passphrase worked for me. BUT, my chip could connect with WEP but NOT have WPA capability.

When ever I plug an eth cable into the eth port in the back of the wireless router, and the other end into the eth port on my laptop, the Internet is connected immediately WITHOUT the need to edit a setup screen or a config file. IF your installation doesn't do that then you have a problem. Either you changed something fundamental in /etc/network, or some other directory, OR your iSO and/or CD burn was bad, which resulted in a defective installation.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I have tried it with a Preshared Key and every other possible scenario but no luck. The thing is that wired it does not work either, even though it worked yesterday before I followed the guide I posted earlier. I'm certain something is just blocking my internet, but I'm clueless where to look. I have not changed anything in my network and the cd is just fine. I'd do an other format and clean install if you think it'd make a difference, but I'm affraid I'll end up with the same problem and I've wasted an other day formatting.

Comment

Originally posted by Emass
                I have tried it with a Preshared Key and every other possible scenario but no luck. The thing is that wired it does not work either, even though it worked yesterday before I followed the guide I posted earlier. I'm certain something is just blocking my internet, but I'm clueless where to look. I have not changed anything in my network and the cd is just fine. I'd do an other format and clean install if you think it'd make a difference, but I'm affraid I'll end up with the same problem and I've wasted an other day formatting.
                I don't think you have the technical skill to "back out" the changes made to your system by following a procedure which required you to install ALIEN software (software not in the repository). And, if you reinstall and use other alien software you'll most likely bork your system again.

As far as "wasting another day formatting" it only takes 30 minutes to install Kubuntu from a verified LiveCD burned with a verified ISO file, and another hour or two adding additional applications from the repository and customizing your desktop for the look & feel you want. The first thing you should do after an install, and before you add addtional software is to plug in an eth cable from the back of your wireless to your eth port. Then you should install Synaptic. Using Synaptic you should activate the "us.archinve.ubuntu.com/main" repository and then install b43-fwcutter, which will do ALL that is necessary to activate your Broadcom 4306 chip. Your wireless lamp should turn on. If it doesn't then you may have to reboot. While your eth cable is still attached install wicd, then use it to configure your wirless connection. Once it connects you can unplug the eth cable.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  ... Using Synaptic you should activate the "us.archinve.ubuntu.com/main" repository...
                  Alright, I'm following you step by step to avoid me messing things up. So far so good. I have done a format, internet cable is connected and now I have Synaptic installed. I feel pretty stupid but here I lose track. How do I activate the "us.archinve.ubuntu.com/main" repository?

I really appreciate the help.

Comment

K > Applications > System > Synaptic

Provide your password when prompted. When Synaptic is running, click on Settings > Repositories and on the first tab, ensure that Canonical-supported Open Source software (main) is checked.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeeh I'm in! That did it. Thank you all very much!!

I much appreciate the help!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Wireless on K 9.10

Happy to assist. Welcome to KFN.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                        X