This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu file server

ok still a noob here so ill just ask so i dont have to use a year to figure it oute:P

the thing is: for a few years ago @ school we learned aboute servers and sutch but that was mainly windows server and mac os x.

then my teacher brought with him a allready configured kubuntu server. The sweet thing with it was that i could make users in the user manager in kubuntu and set share settings on the home folder to that user. i`v tryed that on my kubuntu server now and nothing happends, i set up a test user with its own home file. then i went into his own home file in share this file and nothing happends. i dont get up a new window just no nothing.

SO my question is: what can he have done with it?? enny programs that`s got to be installed? ennything i`m doing wrong(probobly this one:P). or could there be somthing wrong with my os? witch is the last kubuntu relese!

i can remember that we allso used a client called Putty to configure the server remotly. and when you logged on to the server with its local ip you`d get up a web page with all the stuff he set to share.

again YES i`m a noob and i`m asking for help here so dont snap my neck for it!!

Re: Kubuntu file server

I'm not quite sure what you've done and so I don't know why it didn't work. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "set share settings". Are you referring to User, Group, and All permission settings on files, network access or something else? What exactly did you do when you "went into his own home file in share this file"? Does that mean that you (as root) navigated to the user's home directory and tried to read or write a file? What program were you using to do all this? Were you on the same computer, or were you logged on to the user's computer via a network? If the latter, what software were you using?

In terms of what to install for secure operations over an internal network (behind a firewall), I personally use the "openssh" packages, that use a command line interface. You can examine the descriptions of these packages with your favorite package manager, (I use Synaptic). The current (26 December, 2009) version of *buntu is "Karmic Koala (09-10)".

PuTTY is a windoze program. There is a Linux port called "putty" which is available in the repositories. Here is the description:
    This is the Unix port of the popular Windows ssh client, PuTTY. It supports flexible terminal setup, mid-session reconfiguration using Ctrl-rightclick, multiple X11 authentication protocols, and various other interesting things not provided by ssh in an xterm.
    I've never used it so I have no idea what the "various other interesting things" are. There's also a supplementary package called "putty-tools" that looks like what you might want for communications with users outside your firewall.

Comment

ok. the thing is i want a service thats easy to use and that dont have to be written in terminal eatch time a want a new user or share some other files.

the way we set up the file to be shared was:

we first made a user in the usersettings under system settings thats allready made in kubuntu. then we set it up so that the home file in in home/user

then we went to home where all the diferent user files was and choose the new user. right clicked on the file options > sharing > sharing options. there we had a window that asked for witch user/user groupe that had acces to what. example user can read, write, delete, rename but usergroupe can read, write
      all i`m getting up now when i press that sharing options is the kde wallet asking me for my password. i type it inn and nothing. i try pressing it again but still nothing:S

we then connected with the local ip typed inn user id and password in a internett reader and got up all the files we wanted to share.

Comment

+1 to everything askrieger said. Also ...

There are many ways to share files from a Kubuntu server across the network, if that is what you are trying to do. No matter which method or protocol you decide to go with you will have to install some kind of server software, and possibly some client software as well. The Kubuntu's GUI may or may not have graphical configuration tools available for the server you choose. Even so, you will still want to learn to manually configure your server by editing its configuration file or issuing commands in Konsole.

Some of the most common choices for Kubuntu server software include:

For more information, read the pages linked from the Servers article in Community Ubuntu Documentation.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

ok.. so there arent enny mays to have a server thats taking its user info from the buildt inn user manager?

Comment

Originally posted by Espen_H
            ok.. so there arent enny mays to have a server thats taking its user info from the buildt inn user manager?
            I don't really know what you mean, but some servers create certain groups and adding users to that server's group may allow them to configure or use the service in a particular way. In that sense you would be using Kubuntu's built in user management GUI tools.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

i am still a bit unclear on your goal here. how often do you expect to be adding users? and what kind of clients are you expecting.(os , local/remote).and how do you plan to admin this server.

i have a few users and use nfs for local shares also samba for "guests". ssh is very useful as an admin tool since my server does not have local I/O.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

i`m gonna admin it directly.

and this is a test machine. IF i can find a good way to run this ill be using it @ work later. and then ill have to set up acces to aboute 80 ppl. thats why i`m trying to find a program that is fast and easy to use. most ppl use xp/vista and win 7 will probobly be popping up after some time.

the only reason for me to using kubuntu is that i know it`s stable and easy to run (dont need a super computer to do quite nice things) this one i`m setting up is a media senter with ampache running 24/7

Comment

most ppl use xp/vista and win 7 will probobly be popping up after some time.
                  Sounds like Samba might be a good choice then.

this one i`m setting up is a media senter with ampache running 24/7
                  Do you mean Apache? That is a little different than the kind of file server I thought you meant.
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

no ampache. its a GREAT music/video streem server!!!

http://ampache.org/

Comment

Sorry, but I don't have any experience with that one. Hope you get it working.
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

its working like a dream! got aboute a TB of music on it and some movies. really nice to be able to have acces to enourmes amounts of music wherever you are withoute having to drag with ya a bunch of discs and other storage medias!

Comment

Working...
                        X