This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access HDD from liveCD? (solved)

I just tried to network update my 8.04 Hardy release to 9.10 Karmic. It seemed to go OK. I wasn't sure, but kept all of the old config files when prompted. When it rebooted it displayed the GRUB loading text and then the Kubuntu slider, but after that the display goes to some odd green color, and that's it.

I had backed up all the files on this machine a few days ago, but my daughter (It's her PC) just told me she was working on a file yesterday that she would really like back. I downloaded a 9.10 iso and burned a liveCD and booted her pc off that. Comes up no problem. I was hoping that I could access the hard drive, but dolphin does not show it. Must I mount the hard drive somehow?

I'd like to get this file for her, and then I'll do an install from the CD. I'm assuming if I do an install from the CD that it blows away what is on the hard drive now?

Thanks for any help!

Gene

Re: Access HDD from liveCD?

It should be accessible, unless it got totally hosed (unlikely).
    To begin, open a konsole terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    ( << that's a lower-case L)
    See if the hard disk, and the partition the file is in, shows up. The listing is not very informative in terms of what is on the disks, but if you know the partition the file is in, try mounting it manually:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/harddisk
    sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sd-whatever-it-is /media/harddisk
    (I am assuming it's an ext3 partition, if not, then change to ext4)
    Then see if you can ls /media/harddisk and get to the file.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: Access HDD from liveCD?

That did it doctor. Thank you very much!

Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays!

Comment

Working...
      X