This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple quick questions, help please

I finally got Kubuntu 9.10 running on my computer but I have two problems I can't figure out on my own. The first problem is getting a driver for my video card. In the hardware drivers program it says a proprietary driver is available but not activated. I click the button that says activate, but nothing happens. How do I get the video card driver to install? My second problem is that everything is really big, When I boot from the live cd the size of the browser and the buttons are just fine, but on the version I installed to the hard drive the menu bar and all programs are huge and don't fit right on the screen.

Any help is much appreciated. Hopefully these aren't stupid questions, I've just become so exhausted getting Kubuntu to even run on my computer I am just cutting to the chase and asking for help on these issues.

Thanks, Michael.

Re: Couple quick questions, help please

Hopefully these aren't stupid questions, . . .
    And hopefully this isn't a stupid answer. Did you reboot?
    Drivers usually need that. Also, everything being really big is probably related to the first question.

Comment

Yeah, I rebooted and still nothing. I brought the drivers window back up and it still shows as inactive. The green button that says activate just doesn't seem to respond to my click, but if I click close/ cancel it responds right away.

Comment

Which graphics card do you have? (if you don't know exactly, run "lspci" from konsole to get a list of devices).

Comment

I don't know if this will help but I had a similar problem where I couldn't install the video driver on a new installation until I did a sudo apt-get update and then a sudo apt-get upgrade.

Comment

Okay I figured out how to get the driver working. Now all is well with the size too. I really like what I see so far, thanks to those who offered advice.

Comment

I figured out how to get the driver working
              Can you please write how you did it for those who tried to help you and let others to share your experience. For me it looks like a story without a happy end.
              Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Working...
              X