This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clock out of sync

Hi, I am using VMWare.  I have a Windows Host and a Linux (kubuntu) guest.  When  I switch back and forth between systems, the clock looses time.  I have used the sudo with the configuration command and selected the place from which it is suppose to get its time from, but it is not staying in sync.  Is there something additional I need to do to get it to stay synchronized?

Re: Clock out of sync

Did you install VMWare tools?

Comment

YES

Comment

I'm not familiar with vmware, so this may be irrelevant. In general, though, windows assumes and resets the hardware clock to localtime, As far as I know, you can't change this behavior. Under normal circumstances, Linux assumes that the hardware clock is set to GMT. However for the convenience of dual-booters, there is a way to change Linux' behavior, to Big Bill standard time. In the file /etc/default/rcS change the line "UTC=yes" to "UTC=no"

Comment

Thanks for trying to help, but when I try to make the change and save the file, it tells me that I don't have permission to change it.

Comment

Use "sudo nano /etc/default/rcS" from a konsole or right click on the desktop, click run command and enter "kdesu kate /etc/default/rcS". The problem is that you have to have administrative privileges to change system config files. You get them with "sudo" for console apps like nano, or "kdesu" for graphic apps like kate. BTW, when it asks for a password enter your USER PASSWORD.

Comment

OK, that allowed me access to rcS and let me change the UTC to "no", but I tried both having the time automatically set by zone and not being set automatically as well as rebooting and repeating the sequence. It appears as though each time I pop in and out of VMware, it behaves much like a light switch would. Even when I am actively in the linux OS I am not sure it's keeping accurate time. Is there anything else I can try?

Comment

As I said earlier, I don't know anything about VMware, but I'm guessing that VMware is emulating the hardware clock for your session and is doing it wrong. Maybe it doesn't look at /etc/defaults/rcS.

Comment

Originally posted by Casseopia
                  Is there something additional I need to do to get it to stay synchronized?
                  Maybe redundant, but anyhow...

When you launch VMware Tools, did you check the checkbox in the first tab (Options)?

Best rgds,

--Geert

Comment

Originally posted by Casseopia
                    Is there something additional I need to do to get it to stay synchronized?
                    What you also can do, is right-click on the watch in your system tray and select Adjust Date & Time....

Then select the checkbox in the upper left corner and choose the correct Public Time Server in the upper right combo box.

Also make sure your timezone (bottom half of the dialogue box) is set correctly.

Best rgds,

--Geert

Comment

Working...
                    X