X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrupt Desktop Icons

Good Afternoon Folks,

Having an issue with what appears to be corrupt desktop icons.

I'm running a fresh install of Karmic 64. Originally when booting, all animated or variable images (for example, the HDD + KDE loading screen) and all icons were appearing corrupted, and clicking on an icon would not open the program (I had to click in whitespace to open anything).

In order to rectify this, I installed the hardware driver for my graphics card (ATI Radeon 4770 HDI, installed driver ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver). This has fixed all the animated corruption, but still my menu icons appear corrupted. All software and kernel is up to date.

[img width=346 height=400]http://www.shift-hosting.com/Corruptedicons.png[/img]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Corrupt Desktop Icons

The KDE is using an iconcache to speed KDE/application startup times /1/, /2/.

Sometimes the KDE icon cache could get corrupted. If this is the problem - you could try to move/rename/remove the kde-icon-cache files /3/.

To reset the kde icon cache run in the konsole:
    Code:
    rm /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/kpc/kde-icon-cache.*
    This will remove the kde-icon-cache files. Sometimes you will need log out and log in.

At here:
    rog@K910:~$ rm /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/kpc/kde-icon-cache.*
    rog@K910:~$ rm /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/kpc/kde-icon-cache.*
    rm: cannot remove `/var/tmp/kdecache-rog/kpc/kde-icon-cache.*': No such file or directory
    The icon cache is empty and the cache is building from the scratch.

Links:
    /1/ > Projects/Summer of Code/2007/Projects/Icon Cache
    /2/ > Iconcache benchmarking results
    /3/ > Topic: the exit icons have disappeared
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
    X