X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the startup screen

Hi,
    I have once installed a red hat linux.. probably 9 years ago..
    I liked that when it used to start it used to display what it is doing at the start up..
    e.g. Starting x service..................[ok]

unlike in the new versions of linux.. which shows a windows like screen with a advance bar showing how much it is yet to load..

so my questions:
    1. is it possible to see what is kubuntu doing behind the stupid startup screen?
    2. after i select kubuntu in GRUB a blank screen shows with blinking cursor, it waits for 3-4 seconds and then the startup screen is displayed... why that delay of 3-4 seconds is kept?
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Re: the startup screen

pass nosplash as an argument when loading the kernel

Comment

Yes, it is possible to disable the boot splash screen.
      How depends on what version you are using.
      If you are using 9.04 or earlier, you can edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, and remove the "quiet" and "quiet splash" options.
      If you are using karmic, you will need to edit the /etc/default/grub file, and remove the splash and quiet options from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line. Then run sudo update-grub.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
        Yes, it is possible to disable the boot splash screen.
        How depends on what version you are using.
        If you are using 9.04 or earlier, you can edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, and remove the "quiet" and "quiet splash" options.
        If you are using karmic, you will need to edit the /etc/default/grub file, and remove the splash and quiet options from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line. Then run sudo update-grub.
        I am using Karmic.
        do i have to remove the arguments and replace "quiet splash" with ""
        or do i have to remove GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT altogether?

it is default value.. so i am bit worried whether i should remove it or not... :P
        asus A52N

Comment

do i have to remove the arguments and replace "quiet splash" with ""
          Yes, do that. After running 'sudo update-grub' you will have all the text on your screen (should be tty1, or CTRL-ALT-F1).

All this will do is get rid of the splash screen, and let the text come through. You may find that adding in something like 'vga=792' will give you a better (1024x796) screen.

By the way, you can test this at boot time. When you get the initial grub boot menu, highlight the entry you want, hit 'e', and then manually rubout the splash quiet stuff, then CTRL-X to boot. This will change it for one time only, so you can test what parameters you like before making them permanent in /etc/default/grub.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks to both of you.
            i could get rid of that buggy startup screen..

though font size (width) is not proper. A single process is shown in 2 lines or so..
            e.g.
            starting process xyz.
            done

instead of:
            starting process xys...............done

i think i will have to make change in display setting of grub.. right?
            anyways.. i am happy to see the text startup
            thanks.
            asus A52N

Comment

Working...
            X