Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless connection and Dell Inspiron 1501 Help?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless connection and Dell Inspiron 1501 Help?

OK, here's the story.

I pretty new to Linux/Kubuntu and I've been a Windows user all my life.
    I had a 3 year old Inspiron 1501 running Vista Home basic and it was as slow as hell. So I decided to give a new lease of life an installed Kubuntu 9.10 on it. But Im havinf a bit of trouble getting it to connect to the wireless internet in the house.
    From what I've gathered from searching other threads is that I will have to install drivers for the wireless network card for it to work.

At the moment, the Network Manager dosen't find any wireless netwoks in a scan and the green light on the laptop that indicates active wifi, is off.

iwconfig results:
    lo no wireless extensions.
    eth0 no wireless extensions.
    wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=0 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    lspci Results:
    05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
    08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: Wireless connection and Dell Inspiron 1501 Help?

You may (or may not) find this document from the official Ubuntu Community Help Wiki useful. It's a few years old, but comments are still coming in.

Comment

does your laptop have a hotkey to turn on/off the wifi , (the one i am on now is a latitude d800 its key is fn+f2)
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
        does your laptop have a hotkey to turn on/off the wifi , (the one i am on now is a latitude d800 its key is fn+f2)
        It does, but nothing happens. The WiFi symbol usually flashes green when it is active, but now there is nothing.

Comment

It sounds like the internal card is recognized but the driver isn't being loaded to actually turn on the green wifi light. What version of Kubuntu are you using?

I have a Dell 1505, similar with the Broadcom BCM43xxx whatever it is. After a fresh install of 9.10, it popped up the hardware driver dialog. I activated the Broadcom STA wireless driver, rebooted and then configured the KDE Network Manager (or is it knetwormanagement) with my WPA2 info. There is a bug that it won't connect with WPA2 and/or hidden SSID...

Click on the Kubuntu icon in lower left to bring up menu. Type in Hardware and open that. See if it searches and finds the wireless driver. Mine had two, something like fwcutter and the STA one.

If that doesn't work, try: sudo modprobe wl

Comment

To get it to work on a Dell laptop i had to go to hardware driver and remove fwcutter and install the sta
            driver.

Comment

Working...
            X