This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

konqueror stil being developed?

Is konqueror still being developed? I'm having problems with facebook and gmail. any suggestions?

Re: konqueror stil being developed?

Hi there. Actually, it is still being developed!

See this thread from over at forum.kde.org:
    http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=83851

In the short thread you'll also see a link to the developer's blog as well.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I'm having problems with facebook and gmail. any suggestions?
      You have plenty of web browsers at hand as a workaround
      In Repository there are Firefox and Arora
      Easy to download and install Opera (download deb file from www.opera.com, right click in Dolphin and run GDebi Package Installer)
      You can try even Chrome
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

I have four, sometimes five, browsers open at all times. I don't know if they will do the facebook and gmail thing, but don't forget Galeon and Epihany. Other than that, I'm with josefko - try Firefox. It's probably the most up to date on compatibility and it has a LOT of plugins.

Comment

Actually, good topic. Not about the browser for me, but the file manager. I have a few instances of Kubuntu 9.10 on my PCs, but using 8.04.3 primarily. The Konqueror in 9.10 seems to have lost some features I used a lot (or it is broken): storage media, quick & automatic detection of other partitions (mounted or not), clear partition naming (/dev/sdxn), right-click mounting of those partitions, etc., basically features for clearly identifying and naming partitions and for managing mounting/unmounting of partitions and nice detection/management of flash drives. I want to stay with Konqueror (for file management; my browser is FX), which is one reason I'm staying with 8.04.3 for now (thanks again for all the good and apropos work, kitterma ). Ideas about this? What's up with Konqueror?
          (breaking the rule to SEARCH first, here, but it is on my expanding To Do list)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Qqmike@ I think it's time to move to something for professionals like Krusader. If you miss something, you can even program it as user action there.

Comment

@josefko, Ha! I anticipated the Krusader Retort but omitted a preemptive strike.
              Krusader is technically great. I like Konqueror. (it's an emotional thing )
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm with Qqm on this one. I've been giving Krusader another shot lately (I used to use it many years ago on another distro), as preparation for the feared demise of Konqueror as a file manager, and I still prefer Konqueror, even in its present form.

It's not clear to me whether the fall off in Konq is due to the Konqueror file manaager developers (if there are any) or a lack of enthusiasm for Konqueror as a file manager on the part of the Kubuntu (or maybe even Debian) folks. Of course, Dolphin could become more usable in the next round as well.

BTW, Konq has had user actions for quite a while. There's one that I like by Kubicle, named RootActions, that you can find at the Launchpad PPA of Rog131.

Comment

The problem I'm having is partition management: having them show up, having them named correctly (sdxn's), mounting/unmounting from within Konqueror. Dolphin does not list the drives by /dev/sdxn's, only generically. In Dolphin, you can use a partition Label, but, well, geez, should we have to? isn't /dev/sdxn an accessible and standard part of the Linux File System Hierarchy? Besides, 2 PC's, several HDDs, many partitions -- should a user have to label them all to be able to do work? And new people to Kubuntu--what are they to do? And if WE are using Krusader, how do we explain things to new people or write the how-to's? Perhaps require Kubuntu users to also get Krusader? If you are in a bind and trying to rescue your system (bootloader stuff) or rescue your data (from Live CD or with PhotoRec or TestDisk etc.), you must have ready, clear access to your partitions. & etcetera ...& ad nauseum ...

Comment

on my machine firefox,konqurer and opera all work fine for facebook/gmail ,although i don't use facebook myself there are people who use my comptuer that do, and i have seen facebook being used in all three browsers. what is it exactly in facebook/gmail that does not work?
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                      The problem I'm having is partition management
                      Maybe you want to see this MountMan: work with your mounted file systems
                      MountMan is integrated in Krusader ...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Actually, good topic. Not about the browser for me, but the file manager. I have a few instances of Kubuntu 9.10 on my PCs, but using 8.04.3 primarily. The Konqueror in 9.10 seems to have lost some features I used a lot (or it is broken): storage media, quick & automatic detection of other partitions (mounted or not), clear partition naming (/dev/sdxn), right-click mounting of those partitions, etc., basically features for clearly identifying and naming partitions and for managing mounting/unmounting of partitions and nice detection/management of flash drives. I want to stay with Konqueror (for file management; my browser is FX), which is one reason I'm staying with 8.04.3 for now (thanks again for all the good and apropos work, kitterma ). Ideas about this? What's up with Konqueror?
                        (breaking the rule to SEARCH first, here, but it is on my expanding To Do list)
                        I haven't run Konqueror as a FM since I switched from KDE 3.5.x to KDE 4.x. Everything you've mentioned in your "missing Konqueror features" I find in Dolphin. I especially like the "Places" panel in Dolphin which shows every device accessible for mounting or, like USB sticks, are automatically mounted. The right mouse options on those icons features "safely remove" and other options. All in all, Dolphin is the best Linux FM I've ever run.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The Konqueror with my 8.04.3 works like a champ, just as is, and I'd be happy not to lose that functionality.

Dolphin ... now that's what I'm referring to in my post, the Places panel on the left is useless to me (not quite, but I'm not a good guesser when I have umpteen generic-labeled drives to choose from). In this Konqueror, when the device is as yet unmounted and you hover the mouse pointer over the device icon (in Storage Media), it shows you the device node (e.g., /dev/sdb8); thus, you know what ya got, you know where you are. (That same info is also available under right-click, meta information.) Not so in the Dolphins I've had in my various K 9.10's laying around; you have no clue what the device nodes are of the unmounted devices (in the Places panel).

Comment

Dolphin ... now that's what I'm referring to in my post, the Places panel on the left is useless to me (not quite, but I'm not a good guesser when I have umpteen generic-labeled drives to choose from).
                            I agree. IF Dolphin would display other partitions (non-root, non-home) with the partition (or label (if used)), it would be so much easier for navigation.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              Dolphin ... now that's what I'm referring to in my post, the Places panel on the left is useless to me (not quite, but I'm not a good guesser when I have umpteen generic-labeled drives to choose from).
                              I agree. IF Dolphin would display other partitions (non-root, non-home) with the partition (or label (if used)), it would be so much easier for navigation.
                              i have two other partition on my work laptop , and i can even edit them to give them a friendly name.but tomarrow i could try to remove the places link and create a new one to the device, but that is extra work. why can't i just edit its name.....
                              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                              X