Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Getting more frustrated, but it's not Kubuntu...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Getting more frustrated, but it's not Kubuntu...

> I wish I would have never moved my disks around!

After I have wiped all of my hd disks in my computer to start fresh, I have not been able to install kubuntu. When I try and install using a LiveCD, I eventually get I/O errors from reading the disk. Since CD-R are cheap these days, I downloaded the ISO again and it is MD5 confirmed. I've burnt a disc using the lowest possible speed. Still the same thing. So I went and got the Alternate CD (Which is better for my system because of my LVM setup and disabling raid). Still headaches about I/O errors. Alright, so content that I may have a bad drive, I went and used 'USB Startup Disk Creator' and verified on a couple of systems that the flash would boot. But when I went back to the system that is in question, it can't find the boot media on the USB port on the back of the motherboard.

What can I do next?

Re: Getting more frustrated, but it's not Kubuntu...

You switched around your HDs. Are they by chance a mix of IDE and SATA?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My CDrom drives are IDE. All of my HD are SATA. Every drive was completely wiped before I started the rebuilding process.

Forgot to add. Sorry - Using KK 9.10 x64.....

Comment

try w/ one optical drive and one hd? try to eliminate a few disks from being the cause of your error.... (then again your trying to install to a RAID?)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

no. no raid configuration at all.

But here is the weird part. I have the raid controller disabled in my bios. But when the disk partitioner comes up, it says that there is a RAID0. So that is why I started using the alternate disk so that I can disable the dmraid on install.

I will try to unplug all disks except the OS disk and attempt another install.

Comment

1) Why was it necessary to 'move the HDs around'?
            2) Have you tried putting them back 'in the connection order' they were originally in?
            3) Was your PC RAID0 enabled 'by default' when you purchased it?
            4) How were these HDs 'wiped' - Delete, Quick Format, or Full Format?

Comment

Using the md5 sum on the iso and burning a verified iSo at slow speed isn't enough. You must verify the CD by running the "Check the CD" option on the LiveCD menu. IF it comes back saying that all is well THEN you can use it to install the distro.

Also, if you use that CD on another computer you will want to rerun the "Check CD" option before you consider installing it on that CD. These are digital, not audio, CDs and a single bit error can will mean that something will fail, sooner or later, in some way, either during the install or after the install, when the defective file is encountered on the HD.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

1) Why was it necessary to 'move the HDs around'?
                New case, redid LVM because it was ext2 and wanted to move to ext4. I have everything backed up on an external disk AND a second system.
                2) Have you tried putting them back 'in the connection order' they were originally in?
                Wouldn't matter, drives are wiped
                3) Was your PC RAID0 enabled 'by default' when you purchased it?
                no. I built this system from scratch, worked for a few years 8.04 up to now.
                4) How were these HDs 'wiped' - Delete, Quick Format, or Full Format?
                wrote zeros using dd=if=/dev/zero etc....

While on the topic.... What is the DVD version? I've never tried that one.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance
                  Wouldn't matter, drives are wiped
                  I'm 'old school,' so....

"Wouldn't matter" -- If you've tried all else, except connecting the drives in the 'original order', and still aren't having success, then "I" would be doing so. You have nothing to loose, and possibly everything to gain.

Comment

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

Did you go back into your BIOS and make sure it recognizes the disks in the order they are now installed?

You might try a live GPARTED or KNOPPIX CD, and see what they tell you about your system.

If dd (disk destroyer, sometimes aptly named) overwrote the internal housekeeping stuff on the disk (such as the MBR and partition table), then you may need to reinitialize the disk. You may need something like gsmartcontrol-root or maybe gparted to do that, as your system will not recognize that the disk even exists without that info.
                    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

You're right... "Wouldn't matter" might not be the best choice in words...

The BIOS fully recognizes the drives. I have no problems reading/writing to the drives by creating a single partition and storing a quick little file. At this time, I do no suspect a faulty drive(s). I have also tried different sata cables just in case.

At the point I'm at now, it would be like getting brand new disks without a partition to speak of on them.

Here is my game plan. I'm going to unplug everything except the CD drive and the OS disk. Then I'll try and install KK 9.10 again. If it fails again, then at least it's narrowed down.

[EDIT] - Just downloaded and burnt a new disk. Both the MD5 and the check disk utility on the disk confirm that I have a 100% valid disk. I'll let you know the results. KK 9.10 x64

Comment

dd would not affect any of this; gparted will put a new partition table on each one;
                        I/O errors => always check the cables, all connections; SATA connections tend to be tenuous (small plugs and all, esp at the drive itself, not so much on the board);
                        a low-level manuf format (like Seagate's SeaTools) would wipe the disk AND check for errors (and reallocate sectors);
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Good idea... I'll reseat and try new cables again.

Comment

ok, I love a good story so I will tell one (maybe)

I burnt a brand new disc yesterday and confirmed it with the MD5 value. Then on the system in question ran the check disk option. Disk is 100% good. Unplugged everything except the sata drive and the cd drive. The event still happened. Thinking that my hard drive might have some issues, I downloaded the Western Digital diag CD since it was a WD drive. The quick and full test came back as the disk being 100% good.

Are you ready for this, Snowhog?

Taking advice from the members that responded, I started moving the SATA cable to one of the six SATA interfaces I have on my MB (four in a group facing straight out, 2 at 90 degrees). Once I moved them from the 90 degree connector, I had no trouble at all installing any flavor of Ubuntu I wanted. It all worked well at that point.

Sum it up... It looks like my 2 sata connectors (90%) are bad and don't work properly, but the rest are ok. I will try today to reinstall and get my LVM back on it's feet. But it appears as though it is working fine now.

Thanks to all for your responses. Thanks to Snowhog for bringing back to my senses! I appreciate the sounding board for new ideas that I haven't thought of.

Comment

I see. So you are saying that I was right, right?

"I/O errors => always check the cables, all connections; SATA connections tend to be tenuous (small plugs and all, esp at the drive itself, not so much on the board);"

If we stretch my advice to include the worst kind of connector fault: the mobo SATA port!
                              (just kidding, of course ...)

Glad you got this figured out, TheBigAmbulance. Your excellent feedback report is really good and helpful to everyone, I'm sure.
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X