This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Obsolete] Wireless not working

I have an old computer on which I run Kubuntu 9.10, and I bought a USB Dongle to connect it to the internet - it is a LevelOne 0305USB, using the rtl8187.
    The router I use is 3com's 3crwer100-75. The wireless network is protected by WPA2-PSK AES encryption.

At first I could connect to the home network, with a signal strength of about 55%. I could not surf the Internet or get access to the router. At some point I could not connect to the wireless network, and then I could not see it at all on the wireless networks list. I tried to change the dongle usb slot, change the channel using iwconfig, and check it with openSUSE 11.2 LiveCD, to no avail.

I also tried to connect the computer with a cable, and both connections were fine, and I could surf the net even after disconnecting the cable. I then updated the system, shutdown the computer and moved it to another room and the wireless refused to connect again.

Here is the dmesg output after connecting the antenna: http://pastebin.com/d19fbc682

I've roamed around and just couldn't figure what information is useful and which is relevant, since most discussions I've seen are more than a year ago.

I'd appreciate any help on this. And it's also possible for me to change the dongle to a different type/chipset/company etc. if that's the easiest solution.

Update: I simply returns the dongle. No solution so far, but it could have been caused by poor reception. Meanwhile I've another wireless problem, for a different post.

Re: Wireless not working

Hi, it seems like your hardware is supported:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Dr...tl8187#rtl8187

Are you using the default Karmic network manager? There is an alternative one you may want to try (wicd), some times people have better luck with one or the other when things get tricky ... you will need a wired connection to try this out!

Comment

I have been having a little trouble with Network Manager.

I have had to completely delete my connection from the manager and set it up again, as if it were the first time.
      Sometimes it requires a reboot to get it working again. I had no problem on 9.04, but now on 9.10 I am having some issues after an update.
      I only need to delete and re-setup, so I haven't been too annoyed.

Hope this helps you to.

Comment

Thanks. I returned the antenna.

Apparently it was something related to signal strength and reception in that position.

Now I have a similar problem with a different computer and a different chipset. I'll try the solutions this time

Comment

Working...
        X