Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Konsole help. KWin Effects. No sound on Konquerer or Firefox.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konsole help. KWin Effects. No sound on Konquerer or Firefox.

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the list directory

-When I input apt-get update or apt-get anything I get the message above.

[sudo] password for (name):

sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts

-When I input sudo before anything it asks for my password and even when I type it doesn't let me in. I don't know how to enable or install KWin effects on KDE. Any help would much appreciated.

Also sound works fine to play music but when I get on Konquerer or Firefox and go to Youtube, video plays but there is no sound.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Konsole help. KWin Effects. No sound on Konquerer or Firefox.

Are you doing the following command:

sudo apt-get update

?

Comment

When I type in my password 3 times and it never gets accepted, the reason is usually associated with my keyboard: either the Caps Lock is on, or the Num Lock is off. You may even have a sticky key.

There are other possibilities as well:
      (1) You could be a REALLY lousy typist That's why I have to type my password 3 times.
      (2) Your password may not be what you think.

None of which has any bearing on your other problem. The /var/lib/lock/apt/... business indicates that you probably have some other package management program, e.g. kpackagekit, synaptic, aptitude, adept, (or whatever) open already.

Comment

XstatyK
        Yes when I put in that command it asks for my password. Even when I take my time to input the password it times out and says that it is incorrect.

askrieger
        Sometimes I have the kpackagekit open. But even when everything is closed and I'm only running the Konsole it gives me that permission denied message.
        Do I have to use the konsole to enable the KWin or Compiz Fusion?
        Can I use the Kpackagekit to install them?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Please make sure that you have no package management software running.

If you can, use konqueror, or dolphin to navigate to the /var/lib/apt/lists directory. If you can't, in konsole type the commands:
          Code:
          cd /var/lib/apt/lists/
          ls -al
          You should see a file there, named "lock". It is owned by root. it should have a size of 0 bytes. If you can, use sudo to delete it:
          Code:
          sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
          .If this doesn't work, we can try "recovery mode".

Comment

askrieger

I had everything closed, opened the konsole and put in the first code. I saw the file you were talking about that says lock and I put in the second code. It's the sudo thing that I don't understand. It asks for a password so I couldn't delete it.

Comment

As I was beginning to prepare my reponse, I realized that, of course, anyone could use these techniques to gain access to the personal information of anyone else, if they had physical access to the computer in question. Accordingly, I decided not to provide any further information on this topic.

My suggestion, therefore, would be to reinstall your OS. I hope you have saved a copy of all your personal "stuff", recently.

Comment

Oh well, I appreciate the help anyway

Comment

Working...
                X