This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinons: KMail vs. Thunderbird

I've really been toying with moving to Kontact (Kmail) for a while.

What do you use? Is it possible to import Thunderbirds mail into KMail?

Re: Opinons: KMail vs. Thunderbird

I believe the answer is 'yes.'

Attached Files
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You know, Kubuntu still has a kink or two in the armor. But I'm still wonderfully amazed sometimes how simple it makes things!!!

I will try this....

Comment

I switched from T-Bird to Kmail some time ago. I got so tired of my scrollbars being screwed up in T-Bird all the time. I like having the improved integration of KMail vs T-Bird. I also like KMail's spam filter better than T-Bird's, it's more configurable.

I didn't have any issues importing my mail from T-Bird into KMail. The only recurring issue I have w/ KMail is my message templates seems to disappear sometimes. That problem hasn't reoccurred though since I set up custom ones.

One thing that TBird does that Kmail doesn't though is RSS Feeds. I switched to Akregator for that.

Comment

Originally posted by tnorris
          One thing that TBird does that Kmail doesn't though is RSS Feeds. I switched to Akregator for that.
          Kmail as the single app, but if you run the PIM - Kontact - then RSS Feeds are there.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wasn't Mozilla stopping the development of Thunderbird?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance
              Wasn't Mozilla stopping the development of Thunderbird?
              I don't think so given that TBird 3.0 RC2 just came out a few days ago.

Comment

I'm using Thunderbird for several years.
                It has an advantage, Lightning embedded.
                Another advantage. The files (messages, address book and calendar) are located in XP partition. So, if I need switch to XP I can access them and see the messages, calendar or addresses.

Comment

I've been using Kmail exclusively for about 7 years now. I just plain *LIKE* it.
                  - enfield

Comment

I used to use Thunderbird but have switched to using KMail. I turn off KWallet and let KMail store the password and I set it up to check for new messages when it starts. KMail starts up quicker than Thunderbird and the user interface looks better.

Comment

I've been using Kmail since I installed Kubuntu 9.1 and left Windowz XP for good.

I had used thunderbird maybe 2 years ago when I last used Linux Ubuntu - and I had a few problems with it crashing for some reason or other. I recall that it was a good application, but at the time was not super stable.

With Kmail, I decided to exploit the heck out of it when I installed Kubuntu 9.1 and I'm very happy with it. I like how it's so robust with features and a great calendar application. I like that it loads fairly quickly too. I have it linked to my gmail account and I find all the settings for Kmail are easy to work with. I haven't had any probems with it crashing and so far it's been rock-solid stable.

Comment

I'm using thunderbird and lightning. I did give the kde PIM a go. Kmail seems like a very competent package although it might take a little getting used too (translate that as it doesn't look the same!)

The breaker for me however has been data import or, rather, the import of the Mozilla address book (which I have used as a full-blown address book and not just as an e-mail list) as an ldif file. The addresses are all incomplete which would mean a great deal of work. Has anybody get any tips as to how to get round that?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                          Mozilla address book (which I have used as a full-blown address book and not just as an e-mail list) as an ldif file. The addresses are all incomplete which would mean a great deal of work. Has anybody get any tips as to how to get round that?
                          Had a similar problem importing me Seamonkey address book into Kontact. It seems that some field names don't match up between the two databases. Import seems to ignore source fields when the names don't match.

After many tries, I gave up and manually entered my entire address book into Kontact.
                          Welcome newbies!
                          Verify the ISO
                          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Just a quick ? ... and maybe a forum search would be in order first, but can Gmail address books be (relatively) easy to import? Thanks in advance.
                            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                            K*Digest Blog
                            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

can Gmail address books be (relatively) easy to import?
                              Gmail address book is not among options in KMail. So I think it depends on GMail possibilities of export. For example, if there is an CSV option, it is easy to import it to KMail, and because CSV is a text file, you can even modify field names manually.
                              In KMail you can also decide during import which imported field you want to join with which KMail field.
                              I personally imported Outlook Express Address book to KMail and it was very easy.
                              Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Working...
                              X