This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop to Server

I chose to install the desktop version of Jaunty since I didn't want to have to deal with a full blown server - but thought that I read somewhere that certain server functions could be added later. Does upgrading mean installing Apache, or is there a "pick and choose server functions" from an upgrade to Kubuntu server

Re: Desktop to Server

Actually, I believe that the server version of *buntu is smaller than any of the desktop versions because it doesn't have a desktop, it runs from the command line. However, if you go with that option, you may wind up adding a desktop anyway, in order to point and click instead of spending your time correcting typo's.

So, now that you have a desktop use it to install the package "apache2", all the "recommended" packages (they may get installed autmagically, in Jaunty), and your choice of the "suggested"packages. Remember in Debian and *buntu parlance, "depends" means "won't start without it", "recommended" means "won't work without it", and "suggested" means "you need one or more of these to do something".

Comment

Don't forget that there is also a "server kernel" also that is compiled using different options -- resulting in a kernel that is optimized for "server" operations at the expense of things like desktop responsiveness.

Install the metapackage called "linux-server". This adds a new entry to your GRUB boot menu.

Comment

I've found the server version very easy to install and apache2 works right out of the box. I have also tried installing the server version and then adding a desktop afterwards. That is as easy as:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
        That way you have all the server configuration done for you, and without having to change the kernel.

Comment

Working...
        X