This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hibernation problem

hi guys, I have kubuntu 9.10 karmic koala. Most of the times i hibernate the machine hangs up and i have to do a hard boot. Anyone having this problem. Thank you for your time.

Re: hibernation problem

How large is the swap partition?

Comment

a little over 8 G

Comment

Whoa -- that is huge (and obviously NOT the problem).

Try installing the package pm-utils. Also, I assume you have opened System Settings > Advanced > Power Management and reviewed/adjusted the setup there?

Comment

i went to install the pm-utils and it said that it already has the newest version. I had messed with the power setting earlier and it looked ok. Now that i looked at it again it says that when i close the lid it suspend to RAM. It doesnt actually says hibernate, but im assuming thats the same. Similar to that is Suspend to Disk. Maybe the installation had a problem of some kind.

Comment

Suspend to RAM (S2RAM) one thing, and suspend to disk (s2disk) is another. S2RAM uses a very small amount of power, to keep your memory working, so the machine is not really totally inactive. S2disk takes a picture of the running system and saves it in the swap space, and then shuts down everything totally, so the system is not using any power at all.

S2RAM wakes up really fast -- that's the "pro" of it. S2disk takes a little longer to revive.

Another package you might want is kpowersave, if you don't have it installed.

Comment

i installed kpowersave. the problem persists. i'm getting frustrated. This is such a simple problem.

Comment

Have you searched on Ubuntu forum for the model of your computer, vs. hibernate problems?

Here are some things to try in a Konsole window, so you see if there is error output:

Code:
                s2both
                Code:
                s2disk
                Code:
                s2ram

Comment

i don't think it matter but kubuntu shares the hard drive with windows 7.
                  so, i installed uswsusp,
                  s2both works but it i have to turn on the computer again, and choose kubuntu, then it comes to life
                  s2disk, goes crazy, the screen becomes a rainbow and i end up having to hard reboot.
                  s2ram gives this error message:
                  kwyto@kwyto-laptop:~$ sudo s2ram
                  Machine is unknown.
                  This machine can be identified by:
                  sys_vendor = "Sony Corporation"
                  sys_product = "VGN-FW190E"
                  sys_version = "A222C4Y2"
                  bios_version = "R0250Y0"
                  See http://suspend.sf.net/s2ram-support.html for details.

If you report a problem, please include the complete output above.

any other ideas,

Comment

Working...
                  X