X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No internet connection in Kubuntu 9.10

Hello everyone!

I am trying to get the internet up and running on Kubuntu 9.10. I need help with figuring out how to do this.

Chipset: BCM4306
    PCiiD: 14e4:4320

When trying ndiswrapper it will not install. I am receiving errors.
    I now have a firmware that I got and need to extract it to the lib/firmware/ folder but it says I do not have permission. Please help, I just want an internet connection

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Re: No internet connection in Kubuntu 9.10

I forgot to add. I am doing this via wireless.
    Do I need to be connected directly into the router and modem to install wireless capability?

Comment

i don't know much, but for permission just add "sudo" before the commands, it will ask you for the root password. basically, to install anything you have to be root .

Comment

So i got into root but I have no idea how to extract a file via command line.

The file is on my desktop that needs extracted into /lib/firmware/...

Any suggestions as to what the command line would be?

Comment

If you are looking for an easy way, so find somewhere a wired connection, make all necessary updates to finish installation and then install from repository synaptic and after that install with synaptic wicd to manage wireless connections. The default package and network managers are not the best software for their tasks and it's not wise to waste time with them.
          When you have network connection you will need command line very rarely.
          Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by alexmcin1
            Chipset: BCM4306
            PCiiD: 14e4:4320

When trying ndiswrapper it will not install. I am receiving errors.
            I now have a firmware that I got and need to extract it to the lib/firmware/ folder but it says I do not have permission. Please help, I just want an internet connection

Thanks to anyone who replies!
            Forget ndiswrapper.

Since HAL doesn't recognize legacy broadcom chips like the 4306 you need to use the legacy installation tool, b43-fwcutter. BUT, you can't do that without an Internet connection. Looks like a catch-22 but if you already have a wireless router/modem which has an rj-45 plug on the back you can use a short piece of cat5 ethernet cable to make a wired connection between your wireless router and your laptop. When you plug it in the Internet connection will be made immediately and automatically.

Then, using apt-get

sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

OR, using Synaptic

sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get install synaptic

Then use Synaptic to install b43-fwcutter.

Following the download either method will show that b43-fwcutter "cuts the firmware" (hence fwcutter) out of your wireless chip and creates a driver for it. After it runs your wireless chip light should come on. If it doesn't then try a reboot. While you still have the cat5 cable connected I'd do

sudo apt-get install wicd

which will replace the knetwork-manager with wicd, a wireless gui app that is run before KDE4 fires up so that when the KDE4 desktop appears any applets which require an internet connection, like weather applets, will find the Intenret ready to go and your desktop and applets won't be setting there spinning its circular ring of balls waiting for a connection.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

For crying out lout, please don't split your threads like that. Had I known GG was already helping you I could have spent my time helping someone else >

I answered your question about using repositories before GG locked the thread, so go read it.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Thank you all for helping! A little bit of Synaptic help and it worked!!! Thanks so much!!

Comment

Working...
                X