X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with Kubuntu 9.10 needs help with installing netwrok drivers

Hello Everyone!

I have finally taken the leap to check out Linux and am falling into some trouble.
    I've installed the OS and it's up and running but I do not have an internet connection as my network card was not recognized upon initial installation.

One of the problems I am running into is that, I am trying to unzip firmware into the lib/firmware folder but keep receiving "access denied". I do not know what to do at this point as I have, or at least though, logged into root in konsole and tried to figure out how to extract the .zip file into firmware.

Any advice would be absolutely wonderful. I just want the internet on my Kubuntu setup!

Some info that may help is:

chipset: BCM4306
    PCIID : 14e4:4320

I am trying to unzip the file from here: http://www.omattos.com/node/6
    "The Broadcom firmware".

This, I believe, should work in my case.

Thanks for checking this out!

Re: Newbie with Kubuntu 9.10 needs help with installing netwrok drivers

I have same chipset.
    Install fwcutter from the repositories.

Works for me.

Comment

Thanks for your response and I hate to be a pest but how would I go about doing that? Do I need to be connected to the internet to download fwcutter? Is there a command I need to run?

Comment

I believe that if I had access to unzip a file into /lib/firmware I may be fixed but I'm not sure.

I could connect through a wired connection but I am trying to avoid it. If I need a connection for repositories than thats what I will have to do. Is there any way of putting the files on a flash drive and putting them on my desktop?

I'm at a loss

Comment

First a disclaimer: I don't know why your network card does not work, and I don't know if what you are trying to do will help it or not!

Originally posted by alexmcin1
          One of the problems I am running into is that, I am trying to unzip firmware into the lib/firmware folder but keep receiving "access denied".
          Unix permissions prevent normal users from writing to that folder.

Code:
          $ ls -ld /lib/firmware/
          drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2009-10-22 10:27 /lib/firmware/
          root is the owner of that folder and apparently you are not root. This is a good thing because root has the power to both fix a broken system and destroy a formerly working system as well. In Kubuntu most actions which could endanger the system itself are restricted to root using similar permissions.

Understanding and Using File Permissions

To perform actions as root, you must use one of several incarnations of sudo to give yourself super-user (aka root) status for the duration of a single action. The two most common ways to accomplish this in Kubuntu are:
          • From the command line (in a Konsole window), prefix your command with the word sudo
          • From the KDE desktop, press Alt+F2 to open the Run Command dialog. Type the word kdesudo followed by the name of the program you want to run as root

In either case you will be prompted for your user name and password. This is the same user name and password you use to log in to Kubuntu.

RootSudo article in Community Ubuntu Documentation.

WARNING: Be very careful when doing anything with sudo. If you plan to edit or delete files then you should back them up first. When in doubt, stop and do your research first to make sure you aren't making a mistake.

Thanks for your response and I hate to be a pest but how would I go about doing that?
          Software Management article in Community Ubuntu Documentation explains your many options for managing packages on your computer. I found the following packages in the repositories related to fwcutter:

Code:
          $ apt-cache search --names-only fwcutter
          b43-fwcutter - Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
          bcm43xx-fwcutter - Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
          Do I need to be connected to the internet to download fwcutter? Is there a command I need to run?
          If you want to download it from the repositories, then yes you do. Installing software from the Ubuntu repositories is always the safest way. I recommend connecting that wired network adapter and having a go at it.

Repositories article in Community Ubuntu Documentation.

If you need to install software without a network connection there are many possible ways. It depends on how the software is packaged. Some of these methods may fail for various reasons, so sticking to the repositories is always the safest way to install software.

Installing Software article in Community Ubuntu Documentation
          InstallingRunPackage article in Community Ubuntu Documentation
          CompilingEasyHowTo article in Community Ubuntu Documentation
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Thanks for leading me in the right direction. I am now connected at a land line and feel like i am getting close. When I pull up "Hardware Drivers" it shows my driver and recommends that I install fwcutter. It seems like this is what will fix it but when I click "activate" in the "hardware Drivers" window it sayd downloading and installing driver but stays at 0%. ANy reason as to why this would do this?

Also, how do I access repositories or search for them? I am completely dumb founded at the moment.

Again, thanks for spending time and trying to help me.

Comment

GETTING CLOSER!!

I now found the repository, clicked on and it it began installing. Of course, the installation resulted in this error....

Error Type:
              Error Value: Failed to lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
              File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1952, in
              main()
              File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1949, in main
              run(args, options.single)
              File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1911, in run
              backend.dispatcher(args)
              File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 647, in dispatcher
              self.dispatch_command(args[0], args[1:])
              File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 553, in dispatch_command
              self.install_packages(package_ids)
              File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 168, in _unlock_cache_afterwards
              func(*args, **kwargs)
              File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1205, in install_packages
              if not self._commit_changes(): return False
              File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1624, in _commit_changes
              PackageKitInstallProgress(self, install_range))
              File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py, line 311, in commit
              res = self._fetchArchives(fetcher, pm)
              File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py, line 234, in _fetchArchives
              raise LockFailedException("Failed to lock $s" $ lockfile)

ANy idea what this is? I AM SOOOOOO CLOSE. Someone help.

Comment

It seems like this is what will fix it but when I click "activate" in the "hardware Drivers" window it sayd downloading and installing driver but stays at 0%. ANy reason as to why this would do this?
                No idea. I've never used that tool. Sorry.

Also, how do I access repositories or search for them? I am completely dumb founded at the moment.
                Short answer: With a package manager like Adept, Aptitude, apt-get, KPackageKit, or Synaptic.

Long answer: Read Software Management which answers all these kinds of questions. The time you invest reading now will pay large dividends in time saved later.

There is also a nice writeup at Kubuntuguide which may help you, but the programs we are talking about really are not hard to use. Just type in part of the name of what you want and wait for the results, then choose what you want installed.

I now found the repository, clicked on and it it began installing. Of course, the installation resulted in this error....

Error Type:
                Error Value: Failed to lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
                File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1952, in
                main()
                This can only mean one of two things:
                • You must be root to install the package. Are you?
                • Some other program has locked the package cache. You can only run one package manager at a time. Close all of them, and then pick the one you want to use.
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

You've posted that same question twice. Don't do that.

I posted a solution in your other thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...32.0;topicseen

I'm locking this thread. Continue the discussion on the thread I've linked above.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X