This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing Kubuntu 9.10 over old Mandriva distro

@ Vinny: I just tested it and there's no problem on my setup or with my Live CD Desktop Kubuntu 9.10 installer! I do believe you, though, and that your test on your system didn't work.
    I made some comments/notice here:
    Reply #72:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3106368.60
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Idle thought here ... is this problem limited strictly to the 9.10 Live CD? Does the 9.10 Alternate CD permit user direction of the Grub 2 installation?

Just curious -- I'm not in a position to check it out in the near term.

Comment

Vinny says it's the 9.10 Live CD, the Final version. The Live CD alpha worked OK.
        For me, both my alpha and my Final 9.10 Live CD work fine--no problems.
        Also see the kubuntuguide link, which refers to problems with the Live CD also.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
          Vinny says it's the 9.10 Live CD, the Final version. The Live CD alpha worked OK.
          For me, both my alpha and my Final 9.10 Live CD work fine--no problems.
          Also see the kubuntuguide link, which refers to problems with the Live CD also.
          did you do a clean install with just windows as first system or over rite a preveus linux install on the second didsk?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Here's what I had existing already:

sda1 = Windows XP
            sda2 = more stuff, etc.

sdb: various OSs & swap: sdb1, sdb2, sdb3, etc., etc.

Then I used an empty, clean ext3 partition sdb6 to test-install 9.10/GRUB 2.
            I used Manual Partitioning.
            Then Advanced, and under the list of partitions/MBRs I saw everything:
            sda, sda1, sda2, etc., sdb, sdb1, sdb2,...sdb6, sdb7
            All choices were available for installing GRUB 2.

(mobo is Intel D915GAVL, circa 2005; two Seagate SATA 160 GB HDDs)

Comment

vinnywright: thanks for verifying that there is a problem, I think you'll save a lot of people a lot of headaches. I don't know why there hasn't been more uproar over this, but it may be a combination of grub 2 and old equipment? No clue here. I do know Grub works fine, and until somebody tests Grub 2 like it should have been before it went anywhere near a RC, it should be put back into the standard Live CD.

Comment

Originally posted by aiiee
                vinnywright: thanks for verifying that there is a problem, I think you'll save a lot of people a lot of headaches. I don't know why there hasn't been more uproar over this, but it may be a combination of grub 2 and old equipment? No clue here. I do know Grub works fine, and until somebody tests Grub 2 like it should have been before it went anywhere near a RC, it should be put back into the standard Live CD.

it's not realey grub2's fault I dont think .......it's the installer......in my alpha Karmic cd it will alow you to do all the things we were trying to do......and Qqmike aprentley got a .ISO with the instaler acting ......properley!

and I just tryed the relese cd on my test box with 3 hard drives all blank and freshley formated with Gparted in ext3 and the installer still would onley let me play with sdb and sdc NOT sda??

but that's the installer's fault not grubs!!!

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                  Originally posted by aiiee

it's not realey grub2's fault I dont think .......it's the installer......in my alpha Karmic cd it will alow you to do all the things we were trying to do......and Qqmike aprentley got a .ISO with the instaler acting ......properley!

and I just tryed the relese cd on my test box with 3 hard drives all blank and freshley formated with Gparted in ext3 and the installer still would onley let me play with sdb and sdc NOT sda??

VINNY
                  Ok, perhaps so. But when the installer breaks, grub rescue is not responding to the commands that it is supposed to have, such as root, set, dump, etc. At least it wasn't for me. I'm not familiar enough with the product to say it wasn't grub 2, all I know is it was always when grub 2 was about to be installed that things went haywire.. and the SGD 2 disk doesn't boot, and the aforementioned problems with grub2 rescue. Whatever it is, it most definitely is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright

Upon reflection, vinny is undoubtedly correct. The Ubiquity installer has always (in my experience) been just a bit finicky about placing Grub:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...45825#msg45825

My first encounter with a Kubuntu installation featured an all-day series of attempts to install Grub on a SATA drive, and not the IDE drive that it was apparently hard-wired to use. Three years later ... things aren't all that different.

Comment

Working...
                    X