X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting started, a couple questions about mouse & video

Hi all,
    I'm running Kubuntu with Ubuntu 8.10 and KDE 4.3.2. Everything is working, but I am counfsued about a couple things that maybe you guys can help me with.

First, I do not have access to a control panel for my nVidia GeForce 8800GTX graphics card. I am using the default installed drivers that come with this distro. I'd like to access it and change desktop color, brightness, gamma, etc and access other 3D settings. I did some web searching and found that you can try the command 'nvidia-settings', but when I do I get a message saying: "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration fine (just run 'nvidia-xconfig as root), and restart the X server. I tried nvidia-xconfig but it is an unknown command. Can anyone help me here? im a bit stuck.

Second, my mouse sensitivity is too high. The only similar option in the system settings is mouse acceleration, which i put down to 0.1 (the lowest) but it is still too sensitive. Can I edit a file or find an application that will allow me to change the overall sensitivity?

- Thanks!

Re: Getting started, a couple questions about mouse & video

Nvidia

Have you got the video driver installed? Look in your menu for something called "Hardware Drivers" or "Restricted Hardware Drivers" Does Nvidia show? If it does just click the activate button. Beware. It runs s-l-o-w-l-y to the point that it does not seem to be waorking at all, so allow it plenty of time.

When the driver is installed you need to start the Nvidia program form a Terminal to give you rights. Open Konsole Terminal Program and issue the command:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    Mouse

I can't answer this fully, because I'm not in Kubuntu at the moment, but your mouse speed should be in your System Settings
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Getting started, a couple questions about mouse & video

Better install the Nvidia driver first, then see how your mouse behaves before you fiddle with the mouse settings. If you don't like it after you are running the Nvidia driver, then you can start adjusting it.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

Comment

Working...
      X