This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu install question 9.10

Hey everyone, got a problem with an install was wondering if anybody else has run into this. When the disc boots up in my computer I use the option to install (ver9.10) . After it loads up for a bit it will show a picture of a hard drive in the center of the screen for a moment then the screen goes black and it restarts again showing the picture of the hard drive. It will not do anything else but this not even run as a live cd. Was just wondering if anyone has run into this before. I am very new to linux and was trying to install this so i can start getting used to it and possibly switch from windows. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: kubuntu install question 9.10

It would appear you are not alone with that issue, although it's not one I've ever seen:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108041.0

I don't see a clean "solution" there -- it does appear that others are aware of it.

Comment

If it won't even run 'as a LiveCD' I would be suspecting the validity of the .iso and/or the burn itself. Have you run the integrity check on the LiveCD yet?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Funny after reading that it seems that i have a via chipset, via processor and a via board Maybe a problem with that?

Comment

That 'could' be the issue. I have no experience with this manufacturer. Maybe somebody here does, so ....
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jimc787

i have a via chipset, via processor and a via board Maybe a problem with that?
            Yep, I think so. Via graphics seem to be problematical for Linux -- a search on Ubuntu Forums turned up a lot of these:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=unichrome

but no "solutions". I think you probably need to use a VESA display. It's been awhile since I changed a graphics display back to VESA, and it was before they put HAL in charge of video, so I'm not sure how to guide you. One thing to try would be the "xforcevesa" boot option -- see FAQ #2 in the link in my signature.

Comment

Working...
            X