This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited sound in karmic

I've got an annoying problem since "upgrading" to Karmic (fresh install as I was previously on dapper drake), sound plays fine at startup, for sound tests in the system settings and even the notifier on Kopete, however no sound anywhere else. at all. mplayer, opera, vlc - all mute. I've tried all the fixes I could find - removing pulseaudio, checked alsamixer - no effect and alsamixer shows all options as full volume and not muted.
    I initially expected my x-fi card to be an issue as I never got it working on dd because creatives drivers were... well... yeah hah, but it's worked 'out of the box' with karmic it seems just... not with most programs. Any ideas?

thanks

Re: Limited sound in karmic

have you tryed going to K>system setings>multimedia and try rearangeing the prefrence for output ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Also take a look at your KMixer settings (should be down in your taskbar). Open up all the channels and see if for some reason things are turned down or muted unnecessarily. I had to do that for my laptop (with built in Nividia HDA)...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
        have you tryed going to K>system setings>multimedia and try rearangeing the prefrence for output ?

VINNY
        Sorry forgot to mention, I did that first like I said in the settings (and desktop) it works fine, just nowhere else!

Everything's up too in kmixer and alsamixer, nothing muted

Comment

It looks like there are more ways how sound works in Kubuntu. Try this one, maybe you will have sound at least in vlc. In vlc Tools - Preferences - Audio Settings - set Output to Unix OSS and device to /dev/dsp or /dev/audio.
          If it works, you can try MediaPlayerConnectivity Plugin for Firefox and you will have sound in Firefox, using external video player vlc.
          Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
            It looks like there are more ways how sound works in Kubuntu. Try this one, maybe you will have sound at least in vlc. In vlc Tools - Preferences - Audio Settings - set Output to Unix OSS and device to /dev/dsp or /dev/audio.
            If it works, you can try MediaPlayerConnectivity Plugin for Firefox and you will have sound in Firefox, using external video player vlc.
            None of the options bring any sound (OSS, ALSA, Pulseaudio - though pulseaudio shouldn't anymore anyway) :/ thanks anyway!

Comment

Working...
            X