X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to create a home network

hi
    i wanna know how to create a home network among 3 computers ? i have kubuntu and internet and i wanna share my connection and also my files with the others . but they have windows xp ( unfortunately i can't persuade them to use linux ) so plz help me step by step !
    thanks alot

Re: how to create a home network

The search word you need to use is "samba". You will find lot's of info on this forum and other sites about how to setup and use "samba". I would strongly suggest you get a router if you don't already have one.

Comment

you need some network cables (RJ45) and a router to build a home network.

software and os are irrelavent at all.

if you setup your router to connect to and share your internet then you don't need any configuration for your other computers. You've got to learn to buy a capable router for shareing your internet, once setup, add new computers into your network is like plug-and-play.

if you don't want to buy or setup a router, you may need to do something in your kubuntu machine, (gg iptables, proxies, etc.)

Comment

FYI: Common routers typically have five holes (RJ45) and one goes to the internet connection. The other four are part of what is called a switch and you plug the computers into those. Like pansz says, the internet connection is essentially plug and play from there, but follow Detonate's instructions for the file sharing. Adequate routers cost 30-40 bucks in NA but you can get more expensive if you like. The cheap ones, however, generally work like a charm. The RJ45 cables can be a bit pricey in some stores but the "dollar store" ones for about 2 bucks each are the same quality.

Comment

Working...
        X