This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Linux in general - questions about 9.10 frozen/lock-ups

Hi all, I have made the switch from windows to Linux finally!

I'm actually a MCSE, however I have wanted to learn linux/unix for quite some time

I installed Kubuntu 9.10, Installed the latest 190.42 Nvidia drivers and activated them, and i have noticed random lockups, graphical glitches. some seem to be fixed when i hit ctrl+alt+f1 and restart the X server it seems to resolve it sometimes.

Also i have noticed a bug where all of my window borders disappear and i am unable to get them back (can't re-size, minimize or maximize the windows)

And the last thing is flash performance, which, after researching, I have been getting the idea that flash performance has always been terrible on Linux (My wife and I watch hulu.com alot) Which may be fixed or relieved noticeably in Flash 10.1 (beta still)

Any suggestions? links to the proper places? other than these minor things I really enjoy using and learning Linux.

Re: New to Linux in general - questions about 9.10 frozen/lock-ups

Not sure but might help...but try to connect to internet and get some updates on K then system settings and then add and remove programs and there in updates try to see any update or bugs to update...that might work....take a look also to the section K then applications and then hardware drivers...u might find the nvidia card to enable it so u can fix ur graphical perfomence......just suggestions im also a starter here XD

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi
      Not sure but might help...but try to connect to internet and get some updates on K then system settings and then add and remove programs and there in updates try to see any update or bugs to update...that might work....take a look also to the section K then applications and then hardware drivers...u might find the nvidia card to enable it so u can fix ur graphical perfomence......just suggestions im also a starter here XD
      Yeah i installed all the 200+ "bug fixes" and i manually installed the 190.42 drivers and activated them.

Here is my current system specs if anyone needs it:

Kubuntu 9.10 x64 w/ 4096 MB swap file
      AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2 ghz
      BFG Nvidia GTX 280
      4 GB DDR2 Ram
      ASRock 780GXE/128M
      640 GB Samsung HDD partitioned on an XFS file system
      200 GB NTFS Maxtor (backup drive from windows)

Comment

From what I heard you need to down-grade to 185 which seems to be more stable. Use Envy as tool is the easiest way to go about it.

Comment

I should have mentioned i used the 185 version of the Nvidia driver first and was experiencing graphical problems so i updated the drivers to 190 in hopes it would alleviate the issues.

Comment

I'm not sure about "random lockups" -- but if you think it might be X server related, you can look at the log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if there are any errors.

Your window titles problem is clearly the infamous "missing window decorations" issue. Google that and you'll find millions of hits. If you search this forum or Ubuntu forums on that term, you'll find only thousands of hits. Probably the first thing you should do is disable Desktop Effects, until it's fixed. It is related to compositing and/or glx -- I've forgotten which.

So, it appears that either the Nvidia driver isn't working quite right, or you didn't use the nvidia-xconfig utility to make a suitable /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, or something else in the video domain isn't quite right. You might get some help from this -- personally I'd start with reinstalling the Nvidia driver from the downloaded 190.42 installer:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

Hope this helps.

Comment

So I re-installed Kubuntu and after a little frustration i think I finally have it working properly.

Instead of doing XFS i reformatted to EXT4 and actually told it to actually mount the ntfs backup partition under /dos. then i added a list of Karmic repositories form another user on this forums and got a crap-ton of bug fixes. installed the 190.42 Nvidia drivers and Adobe Faash 10.1 and everything seems to be working smoothly now. Hulu is playing a lot better as well.

Comment

Working...
              X