This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to reset the password

Hello I just bought this computer and it has Kubuntu and I know nothing about it. I can't get into the program without an users name and password. I need to get pass other so I can get in. This program is all new to me.

Re: How to reset the password

Some forums won't give this kind of information. How do people know that you legally own this computer?

One way around this, because there is nothing for you to lose, is to do a new install.

Otherwise look at " How to reset your password in Ubuntu" on http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by birtie
      Hello I just bought this computer and it has Kubuntu and I know nothing about it. I can't get into the program without an users name and password. I need to get pass other so I can get in. This program is all new to me.
      Either get the installer disk from the person you bought it from or ask him/her for the username/password. Most Kubuntu is encrypted, impossible to get into otherwise. Not that you are not trusted, but, there is no way someone on this forum would teach you how to hack into someones computer otherwise. At least I hope not.
      Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
        Some forums won't give this kind of information. How do people know that you legally own this computer?

One way around this, because there is nothing for you to lose, is to do a new install.

Otherwise look at " How to reset your password in Ubuntu" on http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
        There are many reason for someone to need to reset the password, thank you for the above link.
        I did a new install of Kubuntu 10.04 alpha 2 and it doesn't accept the password. Following your alternate advice. I used the installation cd and reset the password. It indicated a successful reset, however upon bootup, it still rejects the password. Probably a bug in the alpha alternate installation cd.
        I will probably wait for the beta before another try.
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1911
          I did a new install of Kubuntu 10.04 alpha 2 and it doesn't accept the password. Following your alternate advice. I used the installation cd and reset the password. It indicated a successful reset, however upon bootup, it still rejects the password. Probably a bug in the alpha alternate installation cd.
          I will probably wait for the beta before another try.
          Jim
          had that happen when i tried to install lucid in a VM .. had to reinstall....(since as you noticed the password reset didn't work...)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Diverse thoughts:

1/ The person you bought the computer from has the password. They should give it to you.

2/ If this is just a thrift shop, recycled, or stolen computer then there is absolutely no reason to use what is on it. Install whatever OS you want.

3/ Why do you want to use what is on it? Are there some files you want?

Comment

Reboot the computer from the login menu.

Wait for the grub prompt. As soon as you see the text "Press `ESC' for menu" start jamming on the ESCape key.

At the grub boot menu, select the "Recovery mode" kernel line.

At the menu, scroll down with the arrow keys and then press enter on "Root prompt".

Use the adduser command to create a new user account.

Add the new user to the admin group. I am not sure whether or not you have to also use visudo to add him to the sudoers file.

Use the shutdown command to reboot the computer.

At the KDE login prompt, enter the user name and password you just created.

Happily use Kubuntu as normal.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Do yourself a favor, and save a lot of headache, and just install a current version of Kubuntu (Jaunty 9.04 or Karmic 9.10) from a LiveCD, formatting the install location(s) so you know what you have.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Tried alpha3 and it doesn't have the password problem.

Comment

This is a dicey area and has already been addressed as such, and since the OP hasn't returned I question his motives.

I think Snowhog answered it best with, why mess around with an unknown system.
                    Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                    X