X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repositry in cds

I'm a newbie to Linux and ubuntu,,
    Recently I installed kubuntu 9.04 and i was attracted by its style.
    I have no working internet connection in home..
    Everytime When i download some debian file in college lab and try to install it shows some dependency error.. So i feel its better to download Some necessary library files in repostries in cd or dvd image formats.. Is there any place to download that images or is there any other way

Re: Repositry in cds

Google: ubuntu install applications without internet connection

See, for example, https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/add-app...C/offline.html

Check out APTonCD at http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/ and Keryx at https://launchpad.net/keryx
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yes, arochester has good suggestions.

Also, I think you could to use synaptic (at the college lab) to learn the dependencies for any package that you want, and then download the .deb files for those packages too, from the *buntu repositories. So, if you use synaptic and look at your package, then up in the menu there is "Package > Properties" and you can learn the dependencies. Then you make a list and download those packages too (and also check them in case they have their own dependencies). Save everything on a USB stick and you should be able to take it home, copy all the .deb files into your chosen folder, and do your installation using dpkg.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. Its nice..
        But i have another problem too..
        In lab i have Windows XP..
        Is there any way to run that application in windows..

Comment

If you mean "can I run synaptic" in Windows, the answer is no. Synaptic is a package manager that runs under *buntu Linux.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No i meant to say whether is ther any other way to get repositiries in cd images from windows

Comment

I don't think so, at least not the way you are envisioning it.

With a Win XP computer as the one that you have to use, I can only think of 2 approaches -- neither of them is exactly what you want:

1. Depending on the tolerance of your lab for booting other OSs on their computers, you could make a bootable USB stick, with persistence, boot that on the Win XP computer, and figure out the dependencies with synaptic, and download the .deb packages that you need.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089474.0

2. If you download and burn the "Alternate" Kubuntu installation CD, it comes with many more packages on the CD than the "Live CD". So it is a repository for many commonly-used packages, but not all the packages in the *buntu repos.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Have a look at "How to make your own Ubuntu Repository DVDs" on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=352460 ...involves downloading the WHOLE repository. Currently Jaunty is about 28Gb!

Scroll down to Q1: How would I do this through DOS/Windows?

Can you boot the XP computer using a LiveCD (Desktop disk)?

Could you virtualise Kubuntu on XP? Probably not allowed, installing (K)Ubuntu on XP using WUBI.

Another suggestion given, depending what you want to install/what the dependancies are, is to try one of the DVD issues. This is covered by "10. You only want a setup DVD?" Mentioned are Ultimate Edition and SuperOS. You might be able to install, with dependancies, from on of these.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I
                  Originally posted by dibl
                  I don't think so, at least not the way you are envisioning it.

With a Win XP computer as the one that you have to use, I can only think of 2 approaches -- neither of them is exactly what you want:

1. Depending on the tolerance of your lab for booting other OSs on their computers, you could make a bootable USB stick, with persistence, boot that on the Win XP computer, and figure out the dependencies with synaptic, and download the .deb packages that you need.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089474.0

2. If you download and burn the "Alternate" Kubuntu installation CD, it comes with many more packages on the CD than the "Live CD". So it is a repository for many commonly-used packages, but not all the packages in the *buntu repos.

Hope this helps.

Its great idea.. Thanks.. hope i can boot kubuntu from usb disk and make repos..
                  Thanks thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
                    Can you boot the XP computer using a LiveCD (Desktop disk)?

Could you virtualise Kubuntu on XP? Probably not allowed, installing (K)Ubuntu on XP using WUBI.

Another suggestion given, depending what you want to install/what the dependancies are, is to try one of the DVD issues. This is covered by "10. You only want a setup DVD?" Mentioned are Ultimate Edition and SuperOS. You might be able to install, with dependancies, from on of these.
                    No i cant dual boot but i can use live usb.
                    Also i saw "10. Ill try that too..
                    Thanks..

Comment

Working...
                    X