Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

system buggy after crash followed by an upgrade to 9.10 [topic closed - gave up]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

system buggy after crash followed by an upgrade to 9.10 [topic closed - gave up]

computer too old to mention, two HDD, dualboot XP-Kubuntu 9.10.

some time ago my comp crashed and it completely messed up my /home partition. i managed to save most of it and after the rescue i updated from 9.04 to 9.10. i got, as other users did (upon reading in this forum) a few error messages but after a couple of reboots all worked fine, until..
    there are some packages and programs which are completely messed up: the all too touchy java 6 is messed up, i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and i always get error messages (because of that i can't get sound on youtube, for instance). another, and bigger problem is the power management. although it says there's no problem with it, if i don't go to the power settings and just randomly move things around there and click "save changes" it shuts the screen down after only two or so minutes from booting, which means i have to do it pretty fast. it works in like 90% of the cases. i've even removed the permission for powerdevil to manage the power. there are a few more problems, like if arc can't open a file it will reopen as an empty window after the next boot (if i tried to open multiple times, all of the windows will pop up. terrible).

the question is, how can i repair these problems without a complete reinstallation i looked in the forum and did the "fix broken packages" in synaptic and it found no problems.

oh, yeah, and now after the upgrade there's this weird red, dotted line on the top of my screen. weird, isn't it?

Re: system buggy after crash followed by an upgrade to 9.10

On the power management try creating a new profile and setting it the way you want instead of messing with the default profiles. It's worth a try. What exactly is going wrong with Java? Some of the other problems you describe sound like potential video issues. What kind of video card?
    linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

ok, did a new profile and i hope it will help. if it will happen again i'll write it here.

i just tried reinstalling java, again, and synaptic gave me this message:

Code:
      E: sun-java6-bin: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
      E: sun-java6-plugin: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
      however, when i go (on synaptic) to "edit" -> "fix broken packages" it does nothing, as if the system is running smoothly.

my video card is an nVidia 6200, if i'm not mistaken. i know that there's a problem with the screen being a "non-brand" which kubuntu (haven't tried ubuntu so i write kubuntu) has a problem with. i also have an old laptop which runs opensuse because kubuntu goes nuts with the faulty screen size and what not. anyway, on this computer the problem is with full-screen things like Diablo 2.

Comment

okay, let's try aptitude with the -f option on sun-java6-plugin. It might work, might not.

sudo aptitude -f install sun-java6-plugin

Comment

ok, sadly enough i don't know how to do a scrollable "code box" so this will take some room. the -f reinstallation didn't work, btw.

Code:
          Reading package lists... Done              
          Building dependency tree                
          Reading state information... Done            
          Reading extended state information           
          Initializing package states... Done           
          Writing extended state information... Done       
          The following packages will be REMOVED:         
           festival{u} festlex-cmu{u} festlex-poslex{u} festvox-kallpc16k{u} firefox-3.0-branding{u} gnome-app-install{u} 
           gnome-mount{u} gnome-user-guide{u} gnome-user-guide-en{u} gnome-user-guide-he{u} gnome-user-guide-sv{u}    
           kdeartwork-misc{u} libass1{u} libavutil-unstripped-49{u} libcurl3{u} libdvbpsi4{u} libestools1.2{u}      
           libfaac0{u} libhesiod0{u} libnss3-dev{u} libpolkit-gnome0{u} libstdc++5{u} libvlccore0{u} libx264-65{u}    
           libzephyr3{u} nvidia-180-kernel-source{u} nvidia-180-libvdpau{u} policykit-gnome{u} python-gconf{u}      
           python-gst0.10{u} python-launchpad-integration{u} python-pyorbit{u} python-sexy{u}               
          The following partially installed packages will be configured:                          
           sun-java6-bin sun-java6-plugin                                         
          0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 33 to remove and 0 not upgraded.                     
          Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 44.8MB will be freed.                        
          Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y                                        
          (Reading database ... 218550 files and directories currently installed.)                     
          Removing festvox-kallpc16k ...                                          
          Removing festlex-poslex ...                                           
          Removing festlex-cmu ...                                             
          Removing festival ...                                              
          Removing firefox-3.0-branding ...                                        
          Removing gnome-app-install ...                                          
          Removing gnome-mount ...                                             
          Removing gnome-user-guide-sv ...                                         
          Removing gnome-user-guide-he ...                                         
          Removing gnome-user-guide-en ...                                         
          Removing gnome-user-guide ...                                          
          Removing kdeartwork-misc ...                                           
          Removing libass1 ...                                               
          Removing libavutil-unstripped-49 ...                                       
          Removing libcurl3 ...                                              
          Removing libdvbpsi4 ...                                             
          Removing libestools1.2 ...                                            
          Removing libfaac0 ...                                              
          Removing libzephyr3 ...                                             
          Removing libhesiod0 ...                                             
          Removing libnss3-dev ...                                             
          Removing policykit-gnome ...                                           
          Removing libpolkit-gnome0 ...                                          
          Removing libstdc++5 ...                                             
          Removing libvlccore0 ...                                             
          Removing libx264-65 ...                                             
          Removing nvidia-180-kernel-source ...                                      
          Removing nvidia-180-libvdpau ...                                         
          Removing python-gconf ...                                            
          Removing python-gst0.10 ...                                           
          Removing python-launchpad-integration ...                                    
          Removing python-pyorbit ...                                           
          Removing python-sexy ...                                             
          Processing triggers for install-info ...                                     
          Processing triggers for man-db ...                                        
          Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...                                  
          Processing triggers for libc-bin ...                                       
          ldconfig deferred processing now taking place                                  
          Processing triggers for python-support ...                                    
          Setting up sun-java6-bin (6-15-1) ...                                      
          update-alternatives: error: alternative link /usr/bin/orbd is already managed by orbd.20090824.         
          dpkg: error processing sun-java6-bin (--configure):
           subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
          dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sun-java6-plugin:
           sun-java6-plugin depends on sun-java6-bin (= 6-15-1); however:
           Package sun-java6-bin is not configured yet.
          dpkg: error processing sun-java6-plugin (--configure):
           dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
          No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                                                               Errors were encountered while processing:
           sun-java6-bin
           sun-java6-plugin
          E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
          A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
          update-alternatives: error: alternative link /usr/bin/orbd is already managed by orbd.20090824.
          dpkg: error processing sun-java6-bin (--configure):
           subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
          dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sun-java6-plugin:
           sun-java6-plugin depends on sun-java6-bin (= 6-15-1); however:
           Package sun-java6-bin is not configured yet.
          dpkg: error processing sun-java6-plugin (--configure):
           dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
          Errors were encountered while processing:
           sun-java6-bin
           sun-java6-plugin
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          Reading extended state information
          Initializing package states... Done

Comment

When you install the Sun version of Java YOU HAVE TO SIGN A LICENSE to complete the installation. It is possible to do this in Synaptic, (it wasn't in Adept), but it is non-trivial. That is why you got the error message.

I don't believe "Fix Broken Packages" will solve your problem. It's been a while since I last fell into this trap, so I may be slightly off on the fix. In Synaptic:
            1) Uninstall "sun-java6-bin".
            2) Start a fresh installation of sun-java6-bin.
            3) After the download, (when the black terminal box appears) IMMEDIATELY enlarge it until you see the entire box.
            4) Eventually as the installation progresses a page or three of dense legalese will appear. scroll down until you reach the bottom. You will see a message telling you what to do if you accept the incomprehensible terms of the license. I can't recall whether you type Y or "spacebar", but that instruction is clear.
            5) If you are not a lawyer, agree to the terms. If you are a lawyer read the Ts&Cs and decide for yourself.

Sorry it took me so long to get this up. I type slowly.

Comment

If this is solved please mark it "(SOLVED)". ASAP
              Specification: 3.06 GHZ Pentium 4, 1 gig ram, 17" monitor, ECS P4M800PRO-M version 2 and 500 gig Hitachi desk star
              Linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE community editon.
              Based on Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

Comment

there's nothing i'd like more than to mark this [SOLVED] but it isn't.

this is what i got in the end of the installation process:

Code:
                E: sun-java6-bin: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
                E: sun-java6-jre: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                E: sun-java6-plugin: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                i can't copy-paste what it wrote in the terminal window, sadly. it says something about a few cases of "unknown media types" but it did say there somewhere the license has already been agreed to (yes, i remember doing that after the upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10).

Comment

I remember helping you back a few months ago with a Java problem and orbd (Object Request Broker Daemon) was part of the problem. I'm not sure what to tell you this time. It's kind of odd you keep getting dpkg script errors related to orbd. The following message is very suspicious...

Comment

hey

I had the exact same problem, although after the update to 9.10 Java was fine, other problems rose like some programs had to be run through sudo otherwise they wouldnt work (specifically zsnes, which freaked me out because i cant live without zsnes), my restart icon went MIA, couldnt play Wesnoth, the Kpackage was useless, couldnt install through apt-get and I had a ton lingering processes, it was a mess .

here's the posts and all, not long ago. http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...6279#msg206279

I tried dealing with it with your same aproach (try to repair whatever got damaged) but it was impossible. too many problems and i've only used kubuntu for 2-3 months now, I have learned a ton but then I realized that i shouldnt have ran the update knowing most update start very buggy.

Anyways, yesterday I got tired and just did a clean Jaunty install. problem solved. and even more funny i couldnt hear flashplayer sounds like you, and now i can!!

weehee

just backup ur drive and perform a clean install

Comment

true, i remember you helping me with this too, but unlike this time, last time i wasn't even able to remove java. i'll try to find that post again and do the remove-install thing the way you suggested there and then.

Logges, i'm currently trying to avoid doing a complete reinstall of the system.

Comment

That's kind of what I recommend if other problems persist (not the Java problem) especially if your data partition is not the same as your root partition.

At any rate, orbd.20090824 looks like a backup file. I think I was helping you with your old problem back in August. Maybe the alternatives system is still confused. Where is that file located on your system? Maybe we can clean out alternatives of all Java remnants then you can install it since orbd is a Java tool.

UPDATE:

To remove orbd from alternatives, try sudo update-alternatives remove-all orbd

Comment

Create a separate ext4 partition for Home e.t.c., label home. Then leaving swap alone, but tell installer to use it; reformat your ext 3 and replace with a ext4 before installing a new karmic set up. Then restore data and delete home partition. You might want to reclaim this space by expanding your new set up partition.

WARNING:
                          Make sure you have copied any important data somewhere else before deleting or formating any partition. If your data is damaged after any resize see http://bit.ly/diskrepair to attempt to repair your partition table. I WILL NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY! IF THERE IS ANY CRITICAL DATA ON YOUR DRIVE THAN BACKUP! REPAIRING A PARTITION TABLE ISN'T GUARANTEED.
                          Specification: 3.06 GHZ Pentium 4, 1 gig ram, 17" monitor, ECS P4M800PRO-M version 2 and 500 gig Hitachi desk star
                          Linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE community editon.
                          Based on Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

Comment

oh, screw this. the power settings thing didn't work and i here by officially give up. time again for a reinstallation.

Comment

Originally posted by swefal
                              oh, screw this. the power settings thing didn't work and i here by officially give up. time again for a reinstallation.
                              hmmm... told you!
                              jeje
                              peace.

Comment

Working...
                              X