This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using the repositories at getdeb.net

I used to browse there quite a bit. Within the couple of weeks, they now want you to install a getdeb package in order to download software.

Am I being paranoid in not letting a third party app get involved in installing software?

How does one install the Acetoneiso package when all sites get you back to www.getdeb.net?

Re: Anyone using the repositories at getdeb.net

When i want to install an application:

1) Is it in the official repositories for my distribution (Karmic, Jaunty, ...) ? > FAQ: Repositories

If not

2) Is it in the older or in the development distribution ? > Ubuntu Packages Search

If not

3) Is there request for the packaging ? (> [needs-packaging] AcetoneISO )

3a) Is it in the PPA ? > Using the PPA repositories (Re: FAQ: Repositories)
    > Personal Package Archives for Ubuntu >> Show PPAs matching: acetoneiso /1/

3b) Is it in the Debian packages > Debian Packages

3c) Does the application have a home page ? Sources ?
    > http://www.acetoneteam.org
    > http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=77928

/1/ The PPA package search may or may not find the available packages
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Anyone using the repositories at getdeb.net

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance
      I used to browse there quite a bit. Within the couple of weeks, they now want you to install a getdeb package in order to download software.

Am I being paranoid in not letting a third party app get involved in installing software?

How does one install the Acetoneiso package when all sites get you back to www.getdeb.net?
      I could be wrong, but installing the getdeb package just auto-adds the getdeb repositories to your sources.list. It also auto-adds the GPG key. The website has instructions on doing this maunually if you did not want to install the deb file. I've used getdeb.net and appnr for many packages that tend to be much more recent than the official repositories.

FWI - once the getdeb repositories are run you can just use KPackageKit or Synaptic to install as you would any other program.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
      X