This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network printer

In my work I have install Kubuntu 9.10. Yesterday tried Linux Mint 7 KDE version.Which packet is installed in Mint KDE version and can find all the printers in a network? I want to install it in another machine with Kubuntu. The printers are in different networks (192.168.1.xxx, 169.72.xxx.xxx, 10.15.xxx.xxx). I can see them only with Mint!!!

Thanks for your time !!!

Re: network printer

Welcome!
    I didn't quite understand your question. Are you looking for a utility which can discover all printers on a network? Here at home, I see the DHCP client list in my router. Perhaps there is something more specialized and someone here can answer better.

BTW, there's also a nice bunch of people over at the Linux Mint forum http://forums.linuxmint.com/index.php

Comment

I want to install in my Kubuntu the same package as linux Mint and discovering all the printers in network. The pc is in my work. I have ask the same question in linux Mint forum but i haven't take any answer yet....

Comment

Hmm !
        192.168.*.* are local area network addresses. You should be able to get in to your own network with no difficulty.
        169.72.*.* happens to belong to JPMorgan Chase Financial Network. You can contact them for advice.
        10.*.*.* is reserved by IANA (the Internet Authority for Names and Addresses ), or something like that, for special purposes (usually local area networks that never appear on the external net).

So basically these are all local area networks (if you work for JPM-Chase). You should be able to get to them with exactly the same settings you use in Linux Mint.

Later: Linux Mint is an Ubuntu offshoot. Any thing that works for Linux Mint should work for Kubuntu as well, and vice versa.

Comment

Open the CUPS interface at http://localhost:631 in your browser, and you should be able to intsall all of you network printeres from there. Click on the "Administration" tab and check the boxes to show network printers.

Comment

You need to ensure that you are a member of lpadm else you can't perform printer administration.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Angelaki
              I want to install in my Kubuntu the same package as linux Mint and discovering all the printers in network. The pc is in my work. I have ask the same question in linux Mint forum but i haven't take any answer yet....
              I am curious what package you are talking about. It should have the same name in both Kubuntu and Mint. Perhaps Detonate already guessed it with his suggestion of CUPS.

Comment

Try to install the printers from CUPS web interface but there appears the same printers such System Settings ->printers. My printers not appears. When use Mint live-cd still I can see the printers from different networks. I must find which (package,way,settings) use Linux Mint and display all the printers in network. All the printers are network printers and have ip.

Εach proposal is accepted !!!

Comment

One observation - if Mint can see all the printers then the workstation's got one scary subnet mask

I'm pretty sure a financial institution would take a pretty dim view of you bridging their network to a couple of untrusted networks.
                  we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

When you opened the cups interface, did you open the Administration tab and check the blocks to show network printers?

Comment

Working...
                    X