This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help, Kubuntu keeps freezing or logging me out

I am very new to linux and have only had it installed for a couple days. I have tried many different dirsto's....debian, ubuntu, opensuse, gnewsense, just to name a few and have had problems with all of them. Most of the time they would freeze just during installation, but i got opensuse installed and it was running for a bit, then i tryed Kubuntu and it installed fine, then when i went to log in, right after the log in screen it would freeze and it did this for the first few times. Now it almost always boots up and i have got my wireless working on it, but now it will the screen will flash black and then it makes me log in again, randomly. It happens when running the internet and sometimes when i'm not even doing anything. Whats going on here? Why am i having so many problems with Linux freezing and crashing? When it freezes, i can't do anything and the caps lock light keeps blinking. I am running a Gateway Mx7118. it has an amd athlon 64 3400, 1gig ram, ati radeon xpress 200m, and broadcom bcm4318 wireless. Any info on the constant freezing and logging off would be great. Thanks. BTW, i love kubuntu when its working!

Re: Need help, Kubuntu keeps freezing or logging me out

First, have you tried Safe Graphics Mode from a LIVE CD? The blinking of the Caps Lock light is usually a POST sign of memory issues, but I also found this refernce in the Ubuntu Forums. It signals a kernel panic condition which could still be a memory issue or some other HW issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=968792

Comment

I formatted my hd again and reinstalled kubuntu 9.10 using the live install disc with the safe graphics mode and also noacpi and acpi=off. The installation went all through fine, then when it rebooted it froze right after the login screen about 3 times, then it didn't go to the login, instead it took me to a terminal and said that it was missing a couple of b43 files. I used startx and it logged me in, but its still having the same errors as before. If its a hardware issue is there a way for me to find out? Using either windows or kubuntu? I have done the memory test and it said it was fine.

Comment

Were you able to install the missing files? Also, can you check in /etc/X11 and see if you have a xorg.conf file. If you do, please post its contents.

Comment

Well, what i've done now is take out one of the Ram chips in my laptop and completely reinstalled kubuntu on it. I haven't really had any problems with it yet and have got the wireless working on the broadcom card. so far so good. i will post back with any problems that may occur. thanks for everything though!

Comment

i checked and i have no xorg.conf file in that directory. what does that mean? I have been having some crashes now too. The KDE Crash handler thing keeps popping up with these crashes.... Kwin, Run Command Interface, and Plasma Workspace. I'm trying to download a driver for my graphics card to see if that helps, really no ideas though.

Comment

i checked and i have no xorg.conf file in that directory. what does that mean?
              Nothing really. What I was looking for is if the system is using the VESA video driver or the one for you video card. I'm still leaning to its either a HW/system issue. Exactly what I can't say. Do you have kinfocenter installed? Does it report your HW correctly?

Comment

ya, kinfocenter reports all the correct info on my hardware. it seems to crash less when i'm using the laptop not plugged into the wall, just off batteries. My batteries also don't last very long, maybe 30mins or so? Could it be something do do with that?

Comment

I don't know that model of Gateway, but what you are describing sounds like my Toshiba netbook, which has a hard drive that "falls asleep" fairly often. This appears as a "freeze" when running Linux. I assume the Windows drivers for it include a frequent "poke" to the hard drive to keep it awake when in use. I have to "tickle" the mousepad during the boot process to keep it from stopping, and also during things like dist-upgrade when there's no normal user interaction.

Comment

I had issues once with a laptop battery. No matter what I did the system would do odd things. Turned out the battery was shorting the system. Once I replaced the battery no problems. Just maybe?

Comment

Yes, sometimes during the installation i would have to keep the mouse moving or it would stop installing, but i have tried it on a couple of hard drives and it happened on both of them? I'm going to try to remove the battery completely and see what happens

Comment

Working...
                      X