This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/home partition

Hi everybody, as this forum says, I'm new with Linux, but this distribution is just too awesome! There's some questions I'd like to have answered before I can enjoy Kubuntu full-time!

First : When I've installed Kubuntu, I've created a partition for my /home directories. Once everything is done I look to my primary partition / and I saw that there was my /home and that it duplicate what I had in my /home partition?! Is it really some kind of copy or what?!

Second : What about the new hardware? What are the chance that Kubuntu recognize say an AMD 64 X2 5000+ and the new Nvidia 7950 1Gbit 2xGPUs?? (A dream I have in mind but not yet reality :P )

Thanks for any help,

Peter

Re: /home partition

When your separate partition is "mounted" at /home, it means that when you go to the /home "folder," what you're really seeing is not a folder within your / partition but rather a link to your separate /home partition.

It's like a Windows shortcut or Mac alias.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

ooooohhhhhh thanks man you cheer me up now!

Peter

Comment

Nvidia cards tend to be pretty well supported by the drivers from nvidia. I don't think the current release includes support for the 7950, but I'm pretty confident there'll be a new release soon which does. (eg. the 7900 is supported)

The CPU should just work, though you might want to install a 64bit version of the OS to take full advantage of it, if you currently have the 32bit version installed. (There is a 64bit version of kubuntu, don't worry ).

But with intel's conroe coming out soon, and the price cuts coming on July 23rd, I'm personally going to wait just that little bit longer before my next upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by marble
          But with intel's conroe coming out soon, and the price cuts coming on July 23rd, I'm personally going to wait just that little bit longer before my next upgrade
          Makes me wish I knew how to build/upgrade a computer I've got a P3 800mhz that's just DYING to feel new again
          <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Start with something easy, like swapping out a HD or CD/DVD drive. Build up some confidence, swap out a PCI or graphics card. Really the rest you can look at the motherboard handbook see where everything needs to be plugged in. (CPUs are generally more of a pig, because putting the fans on them can be quite tricky.)

Just remember to hold things by the edges, and to keep yourself grounded.
            I have a section on my website here with photos and description of one of the PCs I built: http://www.pebble.org.uk/linux/mediapchw

(Yes, it's running kubuntu now, and I will be updating with all the software setup sometime too.)

Comment

Buiding your own pc is easier than installing Kubunut . I'm at unit #3 so far. It's cheaper, better quality and sure gives you a sense of ownership from a hardware standpoint. If you have an interest, checkout this source:

http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi

IndyTim

Comment

Originally posted by marble
                Ok thanks man, but how do you know all this about that drop of the prices? Will they be big or somewhere around 10% to 15%? (hope it's more!) Because I'm building the machine of the century. Some poeple say I must be sick in the head to send so much money on a computer, but one of my goal is to be able to keep that new computer for >5 years! I know I'm on a Linux board, but I'll have to install MSWindows for my games and at last I'll be able to play games like HL2 full graphics and CoD2 and F.E.A.R. and all the others that I can only dream of playing right now! Hope it will be good cuts for that day is my bithday! Woohoo!  (=> Homer Simpsons style)

Comment

I keep my eye on news sites, eg:
                  http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1866364
                  or
                  http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/10046

Comment

Working...
                  X