X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: installing firefox

Originally posted by BSW
    Yeah I am connected to the internet if thats what you mean?
    that was one thing I asked yes.

the other was is it a new install and if so why a old ver.?

I dont think feisty is still suported ...at least not thrugh these repo's

you nead to get a more recent ver. preferabley 8.04 or newer.

but mabey some one elce can point you to some repos that still work for it.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It is a new install and the reason it is feisty is because that is the cd that i have - is it possible to download a newer version of kubuntu direct from the internet, without copying it to a cd first?

I am presuming that as there have been no further posts, nobody does now of any repos that still work for my version.

cheers
      BW

Comment

I doubt there are maintained repos for Feisty.

You can certainly download the Karmic ISO file, from here:

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

However, to install it, you'll have to either burn it to a CD or make a bootable USB stick with it.

Comment

Thanks for that - I have a 1GB usb stick - will that be big enough? Does it specifically have to be a bootable one, or will any kind work?
          BW

Comment

It is big enough, but yes, you'll have to make it a bootable stick. Whether you want to just run the Live CD, or whether you want to install the OS on your computer, the bottom line is your computer can't be running its existing OS -- it has to boot the CD/USB stick. The only exception would be if you want to install it on a virtual machine (VM).

There's also "WUBI" - you can google it. That's a way to install Kubuntu in Windows. I've never done it.

Here's how to make a bootable USB installation:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089474.0

Comment

HaHa - I looked at that link - Totally beyond my level, may as well be in Chinese!!

Before your reply I already started downloading to the USB stick. presumably this isnt going to work?

Comment

It will "work", meaning you will successfully save the ISO file on your USB stick.

But you won't be running Kubuntu from it.

Comment

So is it worth me waiting for the next 3 hours for it to download? Will it be of any use when its complete?

BW

Comment

Originally posted by BSW
                    So is it worth me waiting for the next 3 hours for it to download? Will it be of any use when its complete?
                    Well, you could burn it on a CD, and then have a Kubuntu Live CD. I don't know if that is worth 3 hours of your time or not -- your choice.

Comment

Final question for now - I have a Dell Latitude D600, will that have the ability to burn a CD if I go out and by some blank ones?
                      BW

Comment

My quick check here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell...-20906166.html

indicates that there are different configurations for the optical drive -- some are "RW" and some are not.

Depending on what you have on that laptop now, (Windows or Linux) it should be possible to determine the model of the optical drive. I've been away from that kind of activity with Windows for awhile -- I think you can right-click the "My Computer" icon, and choose "properties" and end up at a screen that shows the hardware devices. "Device Manager" maybe, or something like that.

I wouldn't buy the blank CDs until I confirmed that you have an optical drive capable of burning one.

Comment

The only thing installed at the moment is kubuntu Feisty. Would I be right in guessing that means i wont be able to burn CDs? Continuing on the negative theme - I presume I am not going to be able to install a flash player on this version either? (I have tried)

Comment

Look in your menu. If you have a program called K3b and you have a CD burner then you can burn an ISO.
                            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

With Kubuntu Feisty, you can resolve the question of the hard drive model, by installing the hardinfo package.

Code:
                              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install hardinfo
                              (I assume it is available for Feisty -- can't actually verify it.)

Then Alt-F2 "hardinfo" with no quote marks, and click your way to the optical drive, which will be found under Devices > Storage.

Comment

You can also install lshw, which I like alot. It's a CLI app.
                                Description: information about hardware configuration

A small tool to provide detailed information on the hardware
                                configuration of the machine. It can report exact memory
                                configuration, firmware version, mainboard configuration, CPU version
                                and speed, cache configuration, bus speed, etc. on DMI-capable x86
                                systems, on some PowerPC machines (PowerMac G4 is known to work) and AMD64.
                                A nice feature of this app is that you can output the results to a file in html format. I do this and then open the file in my browser.
                                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X