This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Error...

I have an Nvidia video card and I have a 720p wide screen tv as my monitor. Every time I restart my computer, I have to reconfigure my settings for widescreen in the Nvidia X Server program. I think there is a way to save my settings though by saving the settings, but every time I try, i get this error:

Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'!
    I don't know how to fix that, so how any ideas?
    Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Re: Weird Error...

Open Konsole Terminal Program and issue the command:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    This will give you sudo/root permissions and it will "stick"

(I learned this from dibl...)
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

In the Terminal I get this error:
      VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
      Undefined Device "(null)" referenced by Screen "Default Screen".

Segmentation fault
      Am I doing it wrong?
      Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Comment

Bumping an old thread, I still get that same error. Any ideas?

Comment

I would start over. Follow this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

Get out of X and remove --purge everything nvidia. Do a clean new installation of the driver (with KDM shut down). At the end of the installation, choose "YES" for writing a new xorg.conf.

Then "kdesudo nvidia-settings" as mentioned above, and set up your resolution.

Comment

Wow, now Iget the terminal screen. No GUI at all. What the heckdo I do now?

Comment

I would really like some help here, i'm on someoe elses computer right now typing this. I think xserver is gone, now that i've uninstalled all the nvidia stuff.

I'd rather have nvidia not working correctly all the time rather not having any sorta GUI at all.

I really need some help here, is there a terminal command I can put in to get xserver back, if it's gone at all?

Comment

did you reinstall the driver? and run the "sudo nvidia-settings"?

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes and it said it is already installed.

I'm tired of this crap. I have a ton of files on my computer that I will now lose because I'm going to reinstall Kubuntu.

This really pisses me off.

Is there a way I can install "nvidia-185-modaliases" from the terminal?

I think that's going to be my last effort. I'm getting sick of this.

Comment

Well nothing has helped, oh well, lost all of my files.

dibl, I don't think I will ever take ANY of your advice ever again, all my work, gone. Thanks a lot.

Comment

@ thelonegunmen

You haven't unless you've done something really incredibly stupid but I am damned if I tell you how to do anything.

Learn some manners and then come crawling back.
                      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by thelonegunmen
                        Well nothing has helped, oh well, lost all of my files.
                        There is NO reason that a failure of the video driver should cause you any lost data -- that's crazy talk. Don't you have some means to back the data up? Use a Live CD if you can't run your system in text mode.

dibl, I don't think I will ever take ANY of your advice ever again, all my work, gone. Thanks a lot.
                        OK. Since it didn't work, there's no charge for you.

Comment

Your software, including graphics drivers, has nothing to do with your data or whether that data is accessible or not! Anyone with any live Linux CD can get that data before you can pour a cup of tea.
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                            @ thelonegunmen

You haven't unless you've done something really incredibly stupid but I am damned if I tell you how to do anything.

Learn some manners and then come crawling back.
                            **** you!

Comment

Originally posted by thelonegunmen
                              Yes and it said it is already installed.

I'm tired of this crap. I have a ton of files on my computer that I will now lose because I'm going to reinstall Kubuntu.

This really pisses me off.

Is there a way I can install "nvidia-185-modaliases" from the terminal?

I think that's going to be my last effort. I'm getting sick of this.
                              If you intentionally erase all your data then that is your choice, and not the fault of any member of this community. I would not. As has already been pointed out, you should boot a live CD and simply copy all your important files to an external hard drive, or network computer, or burn them to optical media.

dibl has already told you exactly how to restore X and desktop functionality. If you need more details on how to do it right then please read the article Nvidia Proprietary Video Driver -- HOW TO. Follow the steps exactly and you should find your problem solved. If not, then please tell us in great detail exactly what you are doing, when and where it fails, and the exact text of any error message you may get.

Oh and I suggest you read the article in the first link of my signature as well. Spend some time thinking about it to better understand why you have failed to find help so far.
                              Welcome newbies!
                              Verify the ISO
                              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                              X