This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel update 2.6.31.14 to 2.6.31.15 causes several problems

hello! i have been using ubuntu 9.10, with the kdm desktop preferred, on the computer i built myself. it was working fine until i downloaded a suggested update from kernel 2.6.31.14 to 2.6.31.15. since then, rebooting or booting up has been a problem!

1. it often makes a CONTINUOUS system beep. i try rebooting until i get a boot that doesn't beep so much! this seems random to me.

2. it gives me a screen which says my graphics aren't configured properly (i have a Galaxy GeForce 8400 GS video card, nVidia 185 driver, and Acer X223w monitor). it gives me an option to continue in low-graphics mode. if i select that, my graphics actually seem to run as usual, but i keep getting that notice every time i boot up. i tried re-installing my nVidia 185 driver and re-starting my x-server, but that didn't help. i read here that someone with a similar problem went back from 185 to 173 nVidia driver. so i tried that, re-started my x-server, and i don't get a screen about my graphics at boot up anymore. I wonder though, is this the best option? and do i need to re-start my x-server every time i change my nVidia driver? and is there anything else i should do when i change the driver? (i change my driver through the "hardware drivers" screen, maybe something in synaptic or terminal would be better?)

3. sometimes i get audio (besides the system beep) when i boot up and sometimes i do not. i tried re-installing kubuntu-restricted-extras and phonon-xine-backend in synaptic but i can't tell if this helps. the sound working or not seems random.

i have tried un-installing the old kernel in synaptic, in case my system was confused about which one to use. still, i have problems. should i try un-installing the new kernel and re-installing the old kernel? i am afraid to mess with my kernel too much!

i know this is a lot of questions at once, but it all seems related to kernel update. any help would be appreciated!

Re: kernel update 2.6.31.14 to 2.6.31.15 causes several problems

P.S. i forgot to mention that my operating system is 64 bit. Also, i have medibuntu installed with libdvdcss2 and w64 codecs installed, and i re-installed all that after the kernel update too.

Comment

it was working fine until i downloaded a suggested update from kernel 2.6.31.14 to 2.6.31.15. since then, rebooting or booting up has been a problem!
      suggested for what and by who? and downloded from whare?

if you hadent got rid of the old kernel you could be booting it untill you fixed this

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Reinstall the old kernel.

When you boot up and you see the word "Grub" appear hit escape (or it might now be shift). That will give you the choice of kernels to boot from. You can then choose the old kernel to boot from. You should then have a properly working system while you figure out what went wrong with the update.

Tip. For this very reason whenever you get a new kernel version always keep an existing one that you know to work installed as well. When running at the bleeding edge we are all bound to get the occasional cut and having a working kernel in reserve can be a life-saver.

Ian

Comment

1. it often makes a CONTINUOUS system beep. i try rebooting until i get a boot that doesn't beep so much! this seems random to me.
          Every kernel update I have received since the Beta of Karmic I had that issue on shut down/reboot after the update and only then. After the reboot it has never done it again on subsequent reboots. I'm also 64bit. Maybe a connection? I don't know, but you are the first I've run across to mention this exact oddity. I posted about a good while back. Can't seem to find that post, but any way, at least you have some one else here that can confirm part of it any way.

Comment

Just be sure these "beeps" aren't occurring during the POST (Power On Self Test).

If so, their pattern indicates a certain type of MOBO or component failure. A continuous beep, for example, was indicative of Power supply, system board, or keyboard problems on IBM computers. Other BIOS makers used other code sequences.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

No not POST and yes, that is true what that means for system beeps, but this occurs as the OS is shutting down, not during any BIOS system check. At least with me, it occurs right before the OS hands everything back off to the system and then does the actual reboot. Again, it was only after an update that included a kernel and to some degree, GRUB. Now I did have issues with GRUB that I recently stumbled across and fixed. So at the next kernel and/or GRUB update (if any) I will know some more of the problem.

Comment

I would also suggest to disable the "pre-release updates" from within kpackagekit once you have installed the 'old' kernel' (package name linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic is the one you want) This is where you got this newer kernel from - it is from the "proposed" repository where some bug fixes/security fixes may be tested out before being put in the regular repositories

Comment

thank you everyone for your imput! yes, i realised i should not check the "pre-released" box in my software sources because that was causing update manager to suggest updates i wasn't ready for! now a bug fix has been released for the new kernel which seems to have solved all my problems! no more beeping, graphics failure screen, or faulty audio! it's like magic, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                    No not POST and yes, that is true what that means for system beeps, but this occurs as the OS is shutting down, not during any BIOS system check. At least with me, it occurs right before the OS hands everything back off to the system and then does the actual reboot. Again, it was only after an update that included a kernel and to some degree, GRUB. Now I did have issues with GRUB that I recently stumbled across and fixed. So at the next kernel and/or GRUB update (if any) I will know some more of the problem.
                    OK, just got back from out of town and there was a kernel update. It made that continuous system beep again on reboot JUST before the OS hands back off to BIOS to do the actual system reboot. Very odd it only occurs on a kernel update and only at that one reboot. I can reboot now until the cows come home and not have that continuous system beep. Never has done this in other previous version when I had a kernel update. Wish I knew where to look? Anyone with an idea?

Comment

Working...
                    X