This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor stuck at 480 resolution

After installing a new Samsung 22in LCD monitor to replace the very old one on my second machine I can't get it to change resolutions.

I saw an article suggesting that I rename xorg.conf and force the OS to write a new one, but I can't do anything with the file. The permissions show root but when I use sudo it says access denied.
    At one point a notice came up that IUD 10 was expected not IUD 1000 (or the other way round).

Any idea what I can do?

Thanks

Re: Monitor stuck at 480 resolution

Boot and choose safe mode in GRUB. Then choose to repair graphics. Alternatively, you can choose drop to prompt (you will be root) and then:
    mv /etx/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

Do you have a graphics card and drivers installed? If not, please post de brand and type of your graphics card.

Please also note the version of Kubuntu you are using.
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Had the same problem with the same screen.

just go to the nvidia drivers page (if yours is nvidia, they got everything well sorted amazing job)
      and find the one for your graphics card.
      install it and done, your screen should be normal.

upon installing it will probably tell you that you need to stop the xserver.

i started searching for a way to shut the xserver, things like changing init and all sorts.

try this (this one finally worked for me) : sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop

the screen will flicker and some weird interface will show
      hit ctrl+alt+F1 now
      now you can run the install

after its done, run the following to start the xserver: sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

if it doesnt show ur desktop just hit ctrl+F7.

and done.

Comment

How to stop kdm is a little different in 9.10, there you would have to use something like "sudo pkill kdm". That's one of the reasons it is good to know which version of Kubuntu you are using

If you want to install the latest NVidia drivers (compiling), you should search the forum for a guy named dibl, he has links to some great manuals in his signature, among which is a manual for installing video drivers.
        Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

SOLVED Re: Monitor stuck at 480 resolution

I'm not sure what actually worked but....
          I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 with no graphics card.

I missed pressing esc when grub loaded, so when the desktop login came I went into failsafe mode.

I entered mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.back at the propmpt (as suggested)

I found the resulting notice hard to read but it did mention "error". I then tried the command with sudo but the password was not accepted.

I closed the session and rebooted, it came right back to the previous screen. I then tried the 'restart x' item on the menu. Rebooted, selected default session at the login and up came the monitor with full graphics glory.

I don't know whether it was entering the mv command, restarting x or a combination of both but it worked.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Comment

I'm not sure what did it, as the mv command didn't work... but... I am glad it works now!

BTW: you've edited the title of your last post instead of the first

Comment

Working...
            X