This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup

I'm not too experienced with linux, but I wouldn't quite say I'm a noob. I have quite a bit of experience with *nix terminal (BSD, MacOS X)

I'm planning on building a kubuntu box, and I would like to know about backup. On my mac, I can make bootable backk-ups with CCC or SuperDuper. I want to know what the best solution to do this with kubuntu is.

Even if I don't backup my entire HD, I should at least backup my HOME directory
    Registered Linux User 545823

Re: Backup

My recommendation really isn't Kubuntu specific since this kind of work is usually done from a Live CD or USB. if you want something similar to SuperDuper, have a look at Clonezilla. It's bundled with Parted Magic which is the one I use.

http://partedmagic.com/
    linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

thx, I'll look into that.

Is there something I can run as a background process while in Kubuntu to backup specific folders or my entire home directory?

Comment

Yeah, many options available. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite methods. I use dump along with cron to perform file system backups. It doesn't have support for all Linux filesystems so you'll need to research what works best for you.
        linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
          Is there something I can run as a background process while in Kubuntu to backup specific folders or my entire home directory?
          I have a cron job that uses rdiff-backup to backup my home directory to a server every night.

Comment

I just booted a kubuntu installation I have in virtulbox- it looks like the GUI tools "sbackup" and "luckybackup: may work for me...

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron has Keep Backup System, but I've never used it. Instead I created a cron job to make automatic backups of my most important data on a regular schedule.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I have tried Keep before. I did not have good luck with it.

I tried sbackup today after reading someones recommendation on here earlier today. I was able to delete a file and restore it with only a few clicks. That's what I am looking for. It also appears that I can backup across the network using ssh.

Mike
                http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

I use Unison, though it's not a back-up program. It allows me to synchronize with a remote computer, so I can both use my files there AND have a backup.
                  Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Grsync works very well for me, in fact it is the only tool I have ever used to backup home that hasn't returned some sort of error. It's simple to use too. Gnome-based though.

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...action=search2
                      bunch of stuff, search on backup
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                      X