This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu Server, FreeNAS or QNAP (NAS)?

Trying to decide between re-purposing an older machine for NAS or purchasing a QNAP NAS (219P)... anyone have any experience with these? I am not too concerned about the power saving from the QNAP as I will never save enough electricity from it to recoup the $400.

The server must serve windows and linux, which all of these of course will do...

Mainly wondering about ease of set-up and administration... any RAID problems (thinking about mirroring), etc.

Also, would love to have DNLA support... the QNAP does this.

Re: Ubuntu Server, FreeNAS or QNAP (NAS)?

I'd go for using an old machine as a file server. I don't think I'd choose Ubuntu though. Debian is more likely what I'd use.

Never having used FreeNAS I can not say much about it, but it looks pretty slick. FreeNAS is BSD-ish though, so be prepared for some differences. Looks like it is still technically beta too.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
      I'd go for using an old machine as a file server. I don't think I'd choose Ubuntu though. Debian is more likely what I'd use.

Never having used FreeNAS I can not say much about it, but it looks pretty slick. FreeNAS is BSD-ish though, so be prepared for some differences. Looks like it is still technically beta too.
      Tried FreeNAS... already put off by the lack of ext3/4 fully supported options... hmmmmm. My RE3's will be here soon...

Comment

I took a look at FreeNAS. I decided on openfiler instead. I have an ext3 formatted USB drive I want to use from OS X and some virtual machines. I'm setting it up as a NAS using vmware and openfiler. I wanted to use virtualbox but it's having problems with it through the USB so I decided to try Fusion along with openfiler until VB fixes the USB bugs.
        linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

my "file-server" just runs ubuntu w/ nfs and samba shares
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
            my "file-server" just runs ubuntu w/ nfs and samba shares
            I've always had some difficulty getting kubuntu and samba to work correctly... probably because I relied on the gui rather than just editing the config files...

ubuntu server edition was a bust for me... wouldn't install with a md5 check and on disk check both ok... I suppose I should burn another to be sure, but that was disappointing nonetheless...

Comment

I have good luck with Samba but I also edit the config file. I do like openfiler but it can't handle pre-existing partitions without LVM so I had to look elsewhere. As for FreeNAS, it supports ext3 but only 128 byte inodes, again out of luck, so I finally settled on a Samba share from my Kubuntu VM. 500 gig of music files is just too much to move around. I wanted to tinker with openfiler more than anything. It's pretty slick and has a nice web console for managing disks and access.
              linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

i can't ever get samba to work when setting it up via the gui tool. at least the way i want it where i have several users all with differant share rights. for that i had to manually create my smb.conf file

Comment

The File Sharing applet in Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron has worked great for me all along. It has a ton of options I'll probably never use, but I suppose if you have very particular requirements then hand editing smb.conf might be the easiest way.
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                    The File Sharing applet in Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron has worked great for me all along.
                    never tried that. as i said eariler in the post i use ubuntu on my server (as in w/ gnome) makes NX faster

Comment

DERP~~!!, i just re-read the subject, and i would go w/ ubuntu server ! , oh wait i do ,accually i use the desktop version, but have thought often about droping X and using server only , but sadly some of the things i need the box to do require a DE is running (currently gnome). you can read about my server here..

Comment

Working...
                      X