This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB external hard drive and Kubuntu 9.10

I have bought a 1 terabyte Seagate external USB hard drive for my Windows XP computer. The information on it says that it works with Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Mac OSX 10.4.8 or higher but no mention of Linux. I plugged it in the USB before booting, then booted, clicked on My Computer folder and there it was. I checked with Device Manager and it said that the device was working properly. I did not have to do anything. Impressed me.

I am thinking of installing Kubuntu 9.10 in another computer as the sole operating system.

How do I get Kubuntu to recognize this drive when I plug it in the USB of this computer ?

I have a bootable GPARTED CD. Should i use this program on my empty computer to Linux format both the internal drives that i intend using to install Kunbuntu in and this USB external hard drive, BEFORE installing Kubuntu or AFTER ?

I am a newbie so step by step details please.

Thank you all.

Re: USB external hard drive and Kubuntu 9.10

hay trigan

as for the external drive just working...... some do and some dont but I think if it dosent work out the box it wont take to mutch to get it gowing.

as for the rest........

lots of good stuff hear I think # 4 & 5 for a start
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I think you are too much afraid to use your exernal USB drive. The situation is very simple and Linux handles disks pretty well.
      - You can plug in USB drive anytime you want. It behaves like a flash disk. Almost all external USB drives works with Kubuntu.
      - Before removing it is necessary safely disconnect it, for example in Dolphin - click with the right mouse on the disk icon and choose the proper option.
      - You can format it in Windows and in Kubuntu, the most simple program for formatting USB disks is KMFormat from repository.
      - The file system is a difficult question as none is perfect. You can read this:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...8126#msg198126
      - You can format internal drives during installation of Kubuntu, no need to format before.
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Thank you Vinny and josefko. I am now more relaxed about risking my new hard drive with Kubuntu. If Kubuntu can do what I want it to do, I would prefer to use Kubuntu to Windows XP. What do I want Kubuntu to do for me with my new external hard drive after I install Kubuntu ?

Well, I like downloading informational videos from Youtube with the .FLV extension. In Windows, I have downloaded a FLV player program that will play them in Windows XP.
        Can Kubuntu 9.10 do this too ?
        Hearty thanks.

Comment

Video player Dragon, which is installed automatically during installation of Kubuntu can play FLV. There are more players you can choose from, for example the best is VLC, which you maybe know from Windows. You can install VLC from repository, which is extremely simple way how to install programs.

Comment

Thank you Josefko.

I need to be sure of the following.

At the moment, my external terabyte hard drive is Windows formatted in the NTFS file system and I have already shifted lots of videos with the .FLV extension there.

Now, when I have Kubuntu installed on my second computer as the sole operating system, and download the Dragon video player, will Kubuntu be able to play my videos when I plug in the USB external drive ?
            Will I need to have the videos in a specifically Linux formatted partition ?

If I need to divide my external hard drive into 2 partitions, one in Windows NTFS and the other in Linux EXT3 file system, will Parted Magic program be able to do this ? What is the best program to use ?

Thank you.

Comment

trigan, you can test this. Put a .FLV file on the external HD, start a Live Kubuntu CD, select the option to try Kubuntu without installing it, in the Live session, using the package manager in the Live Kubuntu session, download the Dragon player, find it (in the K-Menu somewhere), locate the USB HDD (using Dolphin or Konqueror file manager(s)), and play the file. I know you can make this whole show work the way you want, and as Vinny says, you may be a little too punchy about it right now . We have lots of people here who are sharing data partitions with Windows and other OSs, so that can be figured out. dibl has many posts here about that (search under the topic "separate /home"). For example FAT32 format can easily be shared with Windows. Now, if you wish to have a Windows data partition and a (separate) Linux data partition on the same drive, you can easily partition and format that drive the way you wish. I use GParted Live CD for such work, have done tons of that kind of thing, and never had even a small glitch. I should add: Kubuntu can read and use files from a NTSF partition. I haven't used .FLV, but most of us have played wmv files located in our Windows partition (from a Kubuntu partition on the same or different HDD).
              GParted (Live CD, USB, HD)
              http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
              New Manual. New man page. See Documentation:
              http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I download the Dragon video player, will Kubuntu be able to play my videos when I plug in the USB external drive ?
                You do not need to download Dragon, just start it, Kubuntu will play your videos from NTFS partition, so you do not need to split the disk, you have read/write access.
                The only reason to use Ext2/Ext3 partition on an external drive is if you want to backup the whole Kubuntu on it, because NTFS does not handle Kubuntu permissions.
                If you are not familiar with Kubuntu, you can format your external disk with some better Windows partition manager, they usually offer Ext2/Ext3 formats too, or you can format NTFS in Windows and the rest do with GParted.
                If you use live CD, you do not even need the network for test that Qqmike offered, you can be done in five minutes.

Comment

In the Ubuntu forums, I just read about QTParted which is more specifically used for KDE. Maybe you could try that instead of GParted. I am considering using the QTParted program for partition managing.

Also I did a search and it came up with "KDE Partition Manager 1.0.1"

Comment

Recommend you stick to GParted Live CD.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If I use a GParted live CD, is it possible to move partitions, say from the internal hd to the usb external hd? The idea mentioned above about having the external usb hd as bootable, I like!

Comment

Yes.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                        X