X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Partition Problems for Fresh Install

Hello all,

I am having a problem with ubiquity when trying to do a dual boot w/ xp on a Sony viao. It seems there are 2 partitions already, 1 with 7GB total and 6GB used (recovery files?) and another with ~90GB total and ~45 GB used. so basically have a 45 GB free from this partition, which I felt would be plenty (30 GB for /, 2GB for swap, and some left over for the xp partition).

When I start the installed and get to the file system screen, it only gives me 2 options, 1 to install right over everything and wipe out xp (not an option for this computer), and then advanced. When I go into advanced, ubiquity sees the big partition, but not how much is available, so I am unable to create a new partition. What do I do to set up an dual boot for this situation. Worst comes to worst, does windows have a partition editor?

Re: Partition Problems for Fresh Install

I would simply use GParted Live CD and do all the partitioning before running the Kubuntu installer.
    GParted (Live CD, USB, HD)
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    New Manual. New man page. See Documentation:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

Works every single time for me.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Partition Problems for Fresh Install

I did get this resolved, but wanted to post back what I found out. When I ran GPartEd, it also could not read the size of the main partition, but it was able to identify that there was a problem with my HD. It advised to run chkdsk /f in windows, which I did, and then it worked.

I was pretty impressed that a linux program was telling me how to fix my problem in windows. Thanks for the help!!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Partition Problems for Fresh Install

Thanks for the feedback -- and nice work on your end, rideburton56.
        BTW, had one of your Linux partitions had an error on its filesystem, GParted can try to fix it for you (right-click > check partition).

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X