This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music player question

I have a music server and I want to be able to access it and play flac files from it in a remote location. I have a computer on which I have installed Kubntu 9.10 and I am trying to find a music player that will play my files from the music server. Every one that I have tried seems to only play local files or internet streaming. I have tried Amarok, VLC, XMMS , Quod Libet, RhythmBox, and maybe some others that I can't remember right now. Most don't even show the network as an option of where to search for music. VLC showed the network and when I navigated to my server and tried to select a file, it came back with a message saying that it can only play local files. With the others, I couldn't even get to my server. Is there another music player that can do this that I have missed. Foobar2K in windows would do what I want. I suppose I could install Wine and run Foobar2K there. I was just trying to find a native Linux app that would work.

Re: Music player question

How is the music server serving up the flac music files? If it's using Windows file sharing (i.e. SMB/CIFS) or traditional NFS, you could mount the file system and access the files as if they are local.

If you're streaming the files, that's where you'll need the audio player that natively supports the streaming protocol.

Comment

The server itself is running Xubuntu with samba enabled and running the Logitech/Slim Devices SqueezeCenter. Normally, I listen to the music through a SqueezeBox which is on my network and is fed the files from the SqueezeCenter software, but in this case, I just want to access the files from a remote computer and play them. How do I go about mounting the server file system? Or can I make a symlink to it? I am fairly conversant in Linux but obviously no where near an expert. I have mounted local drives and created symlinks to directories but never remotely. I suppose I should do some research and figure it out myself, but if you could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.
      Thanks.

Comment

I use the firefly media server on my desktop. Amarok and iTunes find it without configuration and I am able to play all my music on any computer in the house.

Mike
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

After some research, reading and trial and error, I figured out how to mount a remote Samba file system. So Now VLC can play my music from the server files. I haven't tried any of the other audio players, but I feel certain that they will all work just as well. It's simple once you know how.

Comment

Great. Please consider posting a HOWTO on the subject. Others could benefit from what you learned.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X