This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Display issues in KDE Must see to believe

Just out of curiosity last night, I rebooted and ran the memory test function off the live CD. I awoke this morning and found no errors in any of the memory sticks (2 1GIG sticks of Kingston, which admittedly I have little faith in) and continued onward to do a few other tests.

1) The first problem I discovered was that the BIOS was set at 128MB for my 256MB card, so with a quick setting change the jaggies basically disappeared.

2) I reinstalled the driver straight from Nvidia's webiste and with Xserver down, compiled and installed the driver/module. All seemed to work just fine in the beginning but after once again, about a half hour of use, rather than the jaggies, I had a full lockup.

3) Installed the 94 (?) driver from Nvidia and am currently using it as I type this with composite temporarily disabled. It did lock almost immediately on login but after suspending compositing, it seems to be holding up quite well.

4) There seems to be something with a massive memory leak, whether it be Firefox or Kwin that causes a hard lock up, which would lead back to the card as GreyGeek and others have stated.

I honestly think at this point it is the card causing the issues using Kwin. On Ubuntu, using Compiz, some of these problems did not exist, but the entire experience of Compiz was flawed due to what seemed like dropped frames and stop and go animation at times.

So, I guess with that being said, any suggestions on a good ol PCI card that will provide ample enough performance for this simple setup?

Let me also add that all the help provided in this thread has been greatly appreciated! Simply awesome to say the least! Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
    X