This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to clear up your tmp folder??

Hi i got a question, im not sure if when i turn of my computer the tmp folder cleans up suppose to do that but never checked that next time ill do it...either way i would like to know if there is any command to clear it up manually from konsole...and besides that anyone expert on kubuntu could recommend me a good app that cleans up your computer junk and all that ****...like bleachbit...but im using it and doesnt clean up my tmp folder lol....so any suggestions thanks.

Re: How to clear up your tmp folder??

Either kcontrol > privacy > Clean up (in 8.04), or the package sweeper (8.10 or later)..

More ...
    Some ideas, principles here:
    -- Privacy Cleanup 101
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde....msg115011#new
    Reply #5: kcontrol Reply #8: How to Delete Data
    Reply #10: Update/Summary for Intrepid Ibex KDE4

EDIT
    btw, I think your tmp's are cleaned up upon re-boot; but I'm not totally clear on all this, and there are various tmp files, and so on.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yikes -- be careful!

I am not the Linux developer to know all the details, but my observation goes like this:

1. If you (the user, using "sudo" working as root) make use of the /tmp directory for things like installing software, so that you muck it up with downloaded tarballs and extracted installers and so forth, all of that stuff that you put in there (working as root, of course) will disappear in the next reboot. So, I think we can say "it cleans itself" at boot time.

2. HOWEVER, it seems the system also makes use of the /tmp directory and puts some "temporary" items that it needs there. You can see them if you look -- some of them appear to be related to proprietary drivers and packages and such. I see some files with my user's name associated with them, and I see a couple of files with "vmware" names, indicating some relationship to the VMware Player that I have installed.

Sooooooo, I would say you DO NOT want to randomly "rm" in the /tmp directory. I think you want to leave it alone, except for use as your place from which to do temporary work like installing downloaded packages.

Comment

em....kcontrol??where is that??i got 9.10 karmic koala lol and package sweeper? i dont wanna take off my packages cause last time i downladed one to clean up computer like history and tmp and cache and **** and accidentally also took off my packages....and lost my sound...so...dont wanna damage anything...thanxs if ur using one just tell me or advice me one that gave u good results...i need a solid answer and simple cause if i read that whole thread u posted i got lost XD sorry dude....its like 9 in the night here...not in the mood to read just for cleaning up thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Yikes -- be careful!

I am not the Linux developer to know all the details, but my observation goes like this:

1. If you (the user, using "sudo" working as root) make use of the /tmp directory for things like installing software, so that you muck it up with downloaded tarballs and extracted installers and so forth, all of that stuff that you put in there (working as root, of course) will disappear in the next reboot.

2. HOWEVER, it seems the system also makes use of the /tmp directory and puts some "temporary" items that it needs there. You can see them if you look -- some of them appear to be related to proprietary drivers and packages and such. I see some files with my user's name associated with them, and I see a couple of files with "vmware" names, indicating some relationship to the VMware Player that I have installed.

Sooooooo, I would say you DO NOT want to randomly "rm" in the /tmp directory. I think you want to leave it alone, except for use as your place from which to do temporary work like installing downloaded packages.

haha yeah i know dude thanks thats what happend to me before...i just want to clean up or to know how to clean up the tmp folder cause i dont want it full of junk...and eventually make my computer slower...thats why but not gonna do it know...first wanna check if rebooting will clean it up

Comment

Working...
          X