This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wich one will execute the game?(solved)

Hi since i posted this in the spanish section and seems no one is giving me a fast answer il post it here....cause i can understand english perfectly also...

So getting to the point my prob is that i installed quake arena wars and i wont find any link to the app although ik its installed so the only thing i need is to make a link to the app wich i don't know wich one it is....so please can you tell me wich exec should i choose to link with the app thanks

[img width=400 height=250]http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9739/snapshot3kv.jpg[/img]

If u want to see the img widescreen go here : http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9739/snapshot3kv.jpg

Re: Wich one will execute the game?

What does README.txt say?
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

It's obvously not any of the *.txt files, but I would read them any way because one of them might hold the answer to your question (copyright and EULA will not). My guess (I don't run Quake) would be one of the files symbolized with black box and a '>' sign. These are shell scripts that run the things with a cog-wheel symbol, (executable binary files). If you're familiar with shell scripting languages (probably BASH, but for your purposes it almost doesn't matter), you can read the scripts and see what they say. If the developer included comments in the file (unlikely because it's a violation of both the "confuse the luser" rule and the "insure job security" rule), you may be able to tell.

Comment

ok cool i read the txt file to be informed a bit and it seems its the ''etqw'' file with the '>' sign
        and i already made the link to that even clicked on it to start it...but wont open? or do anything...so what should i do i got no idea to run a shell or bash or whatever it is...just came from windows like last week to here...give me a break :P thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi
          ok cool i read the txt file to be informed a bit and it seems its the ''etqw'' file with the '>' sign
          and i already made the link to that even clicked on it to start it...but wont open? or do anything...so what should i do i got no idea to run a shell or bash or whatever it is...just came from windows like last week to here...give me a break :P thanks
          Process of elimination. Right click on every file in the folder to view its properties (just like you would in Windows). Examine the permissions of each file and note which ones have the "Execute" flag set.

It would be much easier to do this in Konsole, but you do not seem to want to do that.
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

thanks telengrad 4 ur fast answer ur always helping me out haha now back to where we are.....its gonna be funny....but all of them except the ones .txt and.png are marked as exe XD have a look of one

[img width=400 height=250]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5274/snapshot4.jpg[/img]

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5274/snapshot4.jpg

Comment

Fine, so it is not any of the files ending in ".txt" or ".png". Forget those.

I can tell you from experience that the files with ".so." in their names are libraries, so we can safely forget those too.

What files remain?
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

look this is what the readme.txt said might help u, i think is the etqw one, either way u check it out ur the pro here

ETQW Dedicated Server and Client for GNU/Linux x86
                ==================================================

Important system requirements:
                ------------------------------

You need a low latency kernel for optimal performance (this applies to both client and server installations). Make sure your kernel
                is configured with CONFIG_HZ_1000=y. You should also enable other low latency settings, such as the various preemption settings.

Installation:
                -------------

You need a retail copy of the game to install the full client. The server package comes with all the data unless you download a -nomedia
                or -update package, in which case you are expected to copy some files manually. See in the '-nomedia installers' section below for a list
                of files and checksums.

To start the server, use:
                etqw-dedicated
                To start the client, use:
                etqw
                To start the client with renderer threading support, use:
                etqw-rthread

Start the server like this:
                ./etqw-dedicated <parameters>
                To execute a server.cfg config file:
                ./etqw-dedicated +exec server.cfg

Start the client with the etqw script

The start script makes sure the game binaries will find the dynamic libraries in the same directory.

Minimum system requirements:
                ----------------------------

- GNU/Linux x86 system
                x64/amd64 systems supported through 32 bit emulation layer only
                BSD systems through Linux ABI compatibility
                - Pentium(r) 4 2.0 GHz or Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ processor
                - 512MB RAM
                - Kernel 2.6, configured for 1000Hz tick and other low latency settings

3D acceleration (not required for server):
                - SDL >= 1.2 [1] ( >= 1.2.10 recommended )
                - latest OpenGL drivers - correctly configured!
                - nVidia(r) GeForce 5700 (except LE and VE)
                - ATI(r) Radeon 9700

Audio uses OpenAL only (not required for server)

Multiplayer:
                - Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported
                - Internet play requires broadband connection

Ports:
                ------

In order to host an Internet server, the following ports must be open on your firewall:

Incoming:
                UDP: 27733 (use +set net_port on the command line to change this)
                UDP: 3074

Outgoing:
                TCP: 3074

-nomedia installers:
                --------------------

The installer will copy the files from the DVD for you and install extra patch content.
                If you get the '-nomedia' installer you will have to copy some pk4 files to base/ yourself.
                That includes files on the DVD, and extra patch files (which you may have from the Windows patch already)

there was a lot of stuff more but i was pretty sure it was just junk and non-important

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi
                  look this is what the readme.txt said might help u, i think is the etqw one, either way u check it out ur the pro here
                  Nope, I'm a noob just like you. I have never installed this game, so I don't know anything about it beyond what I've seen in this thread.

Start the client with the etqw script
                  Looks promising. The trouble is that I can't see from here what happens when you execute the "etqw" script. I think maybe you need the retail disc in order to play the game.
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

ok i was reading something to post as answer for you when i discovered that what i installed was not the game...was the client 4 internet online game...so...now dammit! XD

That was so silly...ok now i did this to install the packet sudo ./ETQW-client-1.5-full.x86.run

how should i uninstall it? is it sudo remove ./ETQW-client-1.5-full.x86.run

Comment

It might be safe to move the entire "etqw" folder to the trash, but I don't really know what it might have done while installing itself. That is one of the problems you will encounter when manually installing programs on Linux, thus bypassing the package management system.

The best thing you can do is look for removal instructions from the same place where you downloaded it.

The safest thing to do is just leave it.
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

ive been reading here and there and it seems that the way is to go to the folder and remove it to the trash..so thats what im gonna do...cause i cant find anyway by packet management or terminal...and definetly not going to leave it cause im too picky with my computer i just like to have everything clean and ordered XD thanks either way ur answer supported my suggestion

Comment

Working...
                        X