Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install v9.10 with two different regional keyboards: US and UK?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install v9.10 with two different regional keyboards: US and UK?

Hi, I have a laptop with a US kyboard and I moved to the UK and my external keyboard (MS Ergonomic 4000) went bad, so I brought a Logitect Wave keyboard which is UK. How do I tell the installer that I have two different keyboards? Since they have different layouts and features, how do I get the correct mapping when I am using the built in one or when I am at home using the external one?

Thanks.

Re: Install v9.10 with two different regional keyboards: US and UK?

This is not a solution. Just a way to approach the problem.

For Jaunty:
    Take a look at "System Settings" > "Regional & Language" > "Keyboard Layout". Click on "Help". you will see "The Kxkb Handbook", which appears to be more complete and comprehensible than most KDE documentation. I haven't read it so it may not have a solution for you.

For Karmic: I'll take a look when I get home

In general: One possible solution is to set up two user accounts (e.g. Homeboy and Traveller); they can even have the same password if you're mnemonically challenged (as I am). This may not work because I'm not sure that system settings can be changed at the user level.

If the previous not, and if you have room on your disk, install the OS twice with everything the same except the choice of keyboard.

If that's not possible. Change the keyboard choice every time you log on. This will inspire you to find the solution to the problem. If so, post it here!

Comment

Re: Install v9.10 with two different regional keyboards: US and UK?

The settings for multiple keyboard layouts (and how to switch between them) is in:
      SystemSettings>Regional&Language>KeyboardLayout

Add 'us' and 'gb' as active layouts, you can then set it to show an icon in the tray for active layout (clicking it will switch layout) and/or set a keyboard shortcut for changing layouts.

xkb has a lot of configurations available (there are, for example, multiple variants available for most regional layouts), but the basics are pretty simple.

Post back if that doesn't work for you for some reason.

Comment

Working...
      X