X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Security Issue

Hi All,

I decided that with the new verison out and all, I would try out Kubuntu this time around. The problem is, I can't connect to the internet. I am using a linksys WUSB54G USB dongle to connect to my router on this box. In Ubuntu (9.04 anyway) it worked right off the bat. I do have WPA Personal Security. Kubuntu is seeing the antenna (and picking up my router) but when I go to connect and put in my password, it does not connect. What am I doing wrong?

Re: Wireless Security Issue

Is it possible that it is configured differently by default and when you pass what you intend to be a WPA password you are passing a WEP passphrase or key?

Comment

Considering its not working right, anything is possible at this point. How would I verify that, is there a .conf file to view/edit?

Comment

Even easier, do you use the KDE network management plasma widget? There is an option there in the window where you supply the password, to choose what kind of network security you are using ,what kind of input you give, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
          Even easier, do you use the KDE network management plasma widget? There is an option there in the window where you supply the password, to choose what kind of network security you are using ,what kind of input you give, etc.
          I tried connecting with network manager, and when I put in my password and select WPA personal, it still doesn't work.

Comment

Is there an option to display the passkey as text?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes

Comment

can you temporarily disable encryption in the router to debug the issue and see if it connects? Are there any other options to play with in the network manager interface?

Comment

Thats a great idea. I am not at home right now, but will try and report back.

Comment

So after some troubleshooting with other computers, I realized that the easiest way to fix this problem is to sudo apt-get update and upgrade as soon as I finish installing while plugged into a wired network.

Unfortunatley, the computer I am trying to get going is a desktop that I would have to lug upstairs to the the router, which is feasable, but a huge pain. Is there a way I can download the updated packages, put them on a usb drive, and put them on the desktop that way?

Comment

That's good news. You could try in the computers where you did upgrade already, and see if you find a bunch of .deb in the /var/cache/apt/ folder. If so, just put them in a usb drive. Then, from dolphin, navigate to the drive, open a terminal there (Dolphin allows for that), and type "sudo dpkg -i *deb". Most likely, that will work (assuming all your installs are similar).

Of course, I would log into the router and disable wireless encryption just for the upgrade, much easier.

Good luck!

Comment

Just to clarify, wireless w/ and w/o encryption doesnt work, I can only upgrade with apt if im plugged into the router. I will definitely check out that folder though and see if they are in there. The installations are identical except for my one being partitioned.

Comment

Working...
                        X