This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install antivirus bitdefender in kubuntu? solved

HI already downloaded the bitdefender in this format .deb.run when i run it a window appears that later gets freezed up? and when i install it from the konsole(or try at least) this is what i get:

kira@Kiraitachi:~$ sudo dpkg -i BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb
    dpkg: error processing BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb
    kira@Kiraitachi:~$
    Can anyone tell me plz how to do it? i got a 32 bit version of kubuntu and i know viruses is not an issue on linux but is better to be prepared than regret later... thanks

Re: How to install antivirus bitdefender in kubuntu?

No such file or directory
    Maybe have you just made a mistake in the path of your file. Is the name correct ? Is the file at the root of your /home folder ?
    Configuration:<br />Kubuntu 9.04<br />Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R - 4x1024 Corsair DDR2-6400 - ATI Radeon HD4850

Comment

O.o why are u using an antivirus program anyway? o.o honestly it's not rly needed ^^. If u want 1 then go with Kaspersky for linux. http://www.kaspersky.com/linux

Bit-defender is a bloated piece of junk even on windows. Noting much better out there then Kaspersky, maybe Clam comes close.

Comment

well i actually use bitdefender cause they told me that is awesome and in the reviews also is the one with higher score although kaperky is also pretty good its only a trial for linux...and bidefender is free at least...and i downloaded bitdefender in desktop directory....either way is ther any way to install it in apt-get terminal way? thanks!

Comment

I agree antivirus is a waste of time and computer resources on Linux. Kubuntu comes with an a decent user firewall if you really need it. I would not install bitdefender on Kubuntu. If you want a user friendly firewall go with Firestarter. It's free and in the repositories.
          linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Did you really download it to the Desktop folder? If so then using the following commands in a Konsole window should help you.

Code:
            kira@Kiraitachi:~$ cd ~/Desktop
            kira@Kiraitachi:~/Desktop$
            That should put you in your Desktop (i.e. the Desktop folder of the user currently logged in.) You should use the pwd command to check that you are in the correct folder:

Code:
            kira@Kiraitachi:~/Desktop$ pwd
            /home/kira/Desktop
            If the file you downloaded is really in that folder, then you should be able to list it with the ls command.

Code:
            kira@Kiraitachi:~/Desktop$ ls BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb
            If you receive an error message at any point, then please check which folder you downloaded the file to, and the name of the downloaded file.

Tip: Remember that Unix file names are case sensitive!

By the way, I do agree that anti-virus software is mostly unnecessary on Linux systems. I use ClamAV only to protect the Windows computers I interact with.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Nooooooooooooo! Please noooooooo

Please don't teach them to download to the desktop folder. It's so windowish. A better way is to create a directory under the home account called "downloads":

mkdir ~/downloads

and set FireFox to download to the directory. Or, if you use ariac2 for high speed downloads then open a konsole and issue

cd ~/downloads

before you issue

ariac2 http://path/to/file/on/internet/filename 8)

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I think a directory named "Downloads" should be created automatically whenever a user is added. Along with Documents, Pictures, and the other directories that are automatically created. When ever I install a new distro, creating this directory is one of the very first things I do.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  Please don't teach them to download to the desktop folder.
                  Umm . . . I didn't teach him anything, and he's allowed to download file wherever he pleases on his own system. I am more interested in addressing the error message he received from the dpkg command.
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                    I think a directory named "Downloads" should be created automatically whenever a user is added. Along with Documents, Pictures, and the other directories that are automatically created. When ever I install a new distro, creating this directory is one of the very first things I do.
                    Opps! You are right.

I am so used to creating "downloads" that I forgot that "Downloads" IS created in an account in Kubuntu.

@Telengard: didn't mean to offend... sorry.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                      @Telengard: didn't mean to offend... sorry.
                      I am not truly offended, but I do feel that addressing the issues of Kubuntu-ers is of greater consequence in this community.
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

To address the main point I would agree that given the paucity of viruses that target linux it is of little value to have one banging away in the background consuming resources. I think installing Klamav via the package manager (which will automatically install clamav the backend) will be more than enough for scanning the files on an individual basis that are shared with windows users. If kmail or evolution are used for mail, it can be configured to scan of attachments.

Firewalls? It's as much a question of peace of mind as anything else and is a personal choice. I know many think that because of the default settings a firewall isn't needed. For my part, I use guarddog.

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                          Did you really download it to the Desktop folder? If so then using the following commands in a Konsole window should help you.

Code:
                          kira@Kiraitachi:~$ cd ~/Desktop
                          That should put you in your Desktop (i.e. the Desktop folder of the user currently logged in.) You should use the pwd command to check that you are in the correct folder:

Code:
                          kira@Kiraitachi:~/Desktop$ pwd
                          /home/kira/Desktop
                          If the file you downloaded is really in that folder, then you should be able to list it with the ls command.

Code:
                          kira@Kiraitachi:~/Desktop$ ls BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb
                          If you receive an error message at any point, then please check which folder you downloaded the file to, and the name of the downloaded file.

Tip: Remember that Unix file names are case sensitive!

By the way, I do agree that anti-virus software is mostly unnecessary on Linux systems. I use ClamAV only to protect the Windows computers I interact with.
                          Here is what i get....dont know what to do...im at desktop already....and when i try to run it doesnt do anything...the extension of the antivirus is .deb.run? should i write .run also in the terminal when writting for install
                          kira@Kiraitachi:~/Desktop$ ls BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run
                          BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi
                            kira@Kiraitachi:~/Desktop$ ls BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run
                            BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run
                            Usually Debian packages end with a ".deb" extension. Now I wonder whether what you downloaded is a Debian package or if it is a shell script.

Anyway, assuming what you wrote above is complete and correct, try this:

sudo dpkg -i BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run

Edit: See my next post below.
                            Welcome newbies!
                            Verify the ISO
                            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I think I figured it out. BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run is not a Debian package. It is a self-extracting archive. Here is how to extract it:

Code:
                              mkdir BitDefender
                              mv BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run BitDefender/
                              cd BitDefender/
                              sh ./BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run
                              Here is what the above commands do:
                              • mkdir creates a new folder
                              • mv moves the file into the new folder
                              • cd cd changes directory to the new folder
                              • sh starts a sub-shell to run the self-extracting archive

After the archive extracts itself you will have one or more new files in the BitDefender folder you made above. Look for the file ending with the ".deb" extension. Then use the dpkg -i command to install the package.

You can find detailed instructions in the BitDefender Antivirus Scanner for Unices User's Guide. If the direct link does not work for you then go to the page linked below and look for BitDefender Antivirus Scanner for Unices User Guide:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Down...cumentation/2/
                              Welcome newbies!
                              Verify the ISO
                              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                              X